Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Engine stalls at idle, at traffic lights, in drive.

Default Engine stalls at idle, at traffic lights, in drive.

Hi to you all,
    For some time now I have had problems with the Jensen when at idle. It's fitted with a Holley Pro-Jection 4Di that has been trouble free, however now, when at traffic lights and left in drive it just stops if the fans start. I have reset the TPS to .58 volts at 750 rpm, raised the idle speed to about 825 rpm and reset the TPS with neutral or park engaged but the engine does not seem to be happy when dropped into drive. I have cleaned the IAC dome and cone by removing to see if it was grubby, put it back reset idle and TPS and tested the IAC by covering the bypass hole with the finger as suggested in the manual and the engine slows as predicted.
    Normal driving the car runs like a Swiss watch, until I stop where I have to drop it into neutral immediately if the fans are running.
    I really need some guidance on where I should be looking as there is no chance of it being fixed on the island.
    Please help, many thanks in advance to any suggestions, keefers

Quote Originally Posted by keefers View Post
    Normal driving the car runs like a Swiss watch, until I stop where I have to drop it into neutral immediately if the fans are running.
    Is the electrical system fully charging?
    Are the fuel injectors spraying properly?
    Is the fuel pressure still set the same?
    Has the Fuel Map been tampered with?
    Faulty oxygen sensor corrupting closed loop?
    Has the ignition timing changed at idle?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Default Engine still stalling at idle, at traffic lights, in drive.

Hi all, I have ordered a new IAC motor from Holley but it will take 2 weeks to get here. In the meantime, I have some questions so I can drive the car rather than leaving it parked.
    1. Can I disconnect the IAC motor at the plug & socket and reset the TPS to .58 volts after setting the idle speed in drive?
    2. Am I going in the right direction replacing the IAC as it seems that when the engine is loaded, when dropping into drive the idle speed drops rather than keep the speed the same?
    3. Has anyone else had experience with the IAC not responding fast enough?
    Many thanks in advance, Keefers (Cyprus)

1. Can I disconnect the IAC motor at the plug & socket and reset the TPS to .58 volts after setting the idle speed in drive?
    That depends on the IAC Position, at the time you disconnect the IAC motor. It needs to be closed, or nearly closed.
    It's much easier to temporarily block off the IAC air inlet port (on throttle body) with a piece of masking/duct tape.

2. Am I going in the right direction replacing the IAC, as it seems that when the engine is loaded, when dropping into drive the idle speed drops rather than keep the speed the same?
    Yes, the IAC Position should increase when shifting into gear.

3. Has anyone else had experience with the IAC not responding fast enough?
    If the IAC is working, it's fast enough.
    This could also be caused by a Fuel Map tuning issue.
    Maybe it's too lean or rich at that area of the Fuel Map.
    When shifting into gear, the idle area moves to a different location.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks for the help, how can I tell when the IAC is closed? And is there anything else I can check.

Thanks for the help, how can I tell when the IAC is closed?
    The IAC valve is closed when the IAC position is zero, and look down the IAC air inlet passage.

And is there anything else I can check.
    Yes, ensure the Timing Map is flat (same values) around the idle area, in & out of gear.

Hi Danny,
    Having at last, got hold of a Windows 98 laptop, I connected to the ECU using the DB9 plug from the wiring harness in the car but the screen keeps flashing ERROR. Also coming out of the harness is a 7 pin DIN plug, is this what I should connect to? If so, is there a lead available from Holley?
    Many thanks in advance, keefers

...I connected to the ECU using the DB9 plug from the wiring harness in the car but the screen keeps flashing ERROR.
    Are you using the latest Pro-Jection EFI software:
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection (Scroll down to "Pro-Jection")

Also coming out of the harness is a 7 pin DIN plug, is this what I should connect to?
    No, that's for the calibration module.
    https://www.holley.com/document/techlibrary_r10022.pdf (Pro-Jection 4D & 4Di Manual - see page 17)

Hi Danny,
    Thanks for the advice, you not gonna believe it. The DB9 female to female lead I had sent from UK had 5 wrong pin connections.
    No wonder it was telling me "ERROR". Made in China again. All the readings on screen seem to be OK so there is something else wrong.
    Thank you again Danny, keefers

Hi Danny,
    Please can you help. I'm still having problems with the idle settings, I have a 4DI running a version 2.1 software which was around in about 1995/6. Can I ask this - what would you expect the injection volume to read? On map view, mine reads - 144 - 160, monitor 82 - 90, at about 750 - 800 RPM, for a 440 cu 1975 Chrysler? Many thanks in advance.
    Keefers Cyprus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast