Thread: Expectations

Default Expectations

I never really thought about this before but what should one's expectations be when installing this unit on an old muscle car.
    It's obviously not going to run the same as a new car? But what should one expect in terms of how the vehicle should run especially at idle.
    My car goes like a rocket now. It's awesome! Some idle issues on start up and when shifting in and out of park/drive but that's about it.
    I could probably live with that if I had to. I would never go back to a carb now.

Now if I could just get rid of what I think is a fuel pressure regulator thumping/knock. (Not a Holley fuel pressure regulator.)
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by 442SCOTTY View Post
    It's obviously not going to run the same as a new car? But what should one expect in terms of how the vehicle should run especially at idle.
    Of course, an OEM engine will run perfect because the engineers program the ECU for each particular engine.
    However, the Holley EFI system can be tuned to idle very well, if you take the time to fine tune each parameter.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....e-Tuning-Notes (EFI Idle Tuning Notes)

I would never go back to a carb now.
    You're not kidding!!!
    I was apprehensive and had difficulties when first converting to user programmable aftermarket EFI (C950), but so glad I learned.

Now if I could just get rid of what I think is a fuel pressure regulator thumping/knock. (Not a Holley fuel pressure regulator.)
    This could be a clue as to why the idle isn't as smooth as it should be.
    Ensure the fuel pressure is set correctly and the pressure isn't fluctuating.
    Rock steady (consistent) fuel pressure is imperative to a properly running EFI system, especially at idle!

If you so desire, Holley offers a fuel pressure transducer that's "plug & play" into the Terminator main harness.
    The fuel pressure transducer is used for Data Monitoring, Data Logging and setup Outputs based on fuel pressure.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks. I will look at these things then get back to you.

My pressure gauge is 43 psi dead on and steady on the gauge.

One last question then I'm going to leave you alone for a week.
    I'm assuming I can use my laptop on the Terminator through the USB port in front?
    And if so, what software should I download on my laptop and from where?

Talk to you next week I'm sure. Thanks again for all your efforts.
    Don

My pressure gauge is 43 psi dead on and steady on the gauge.
    I no longer suspect a fuel pressure issue. I think your idle issue is timing advance related. (Your other thread.)

I'm assuming I can use my laptop on the Terminator through the USB port in front?
    Yes, just like how an HP or Dominator user would do it.

And if so, what software should I download on my laptop and from where?
    The latest V2 software can be downloaded here: http://www.holley.com/TechService/Li...#FuelInjection
    Read the "199R10632rev5" PDF document for a "V2 Software Update Overview" (in "Holley EFI V2 Instructions").

How to find software & firmware versions:
    Software: click "Help" tab (top toolbar) & "About Holley EFI".
    Firmware: click "Sync With ECU" & "Get ECU Info" (Key-on/USB connected).
    Be sure to successfully install the new V2 software, before installing the ECU firmware (read "V2 Update Instructions").
    Ensure the Holley EFI software is not open and the ECU is not powered on/connected when installing the new software.
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...9R10546rev.pdf (HP & Dominator Quick Start Guide)
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...20Firmware.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
    Before updating firmware, ensure the current Global Folder is saved somewhere, since it will be erased from the ECU.

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    ‒ On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    ‒ When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    ‒ Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

My Windows 8 computer would download but not open the V2, but will open the V1.5?

My Windows 8 computer would download but not open the V2, but will open the V1.5?
    Oh no...you installed software V1.5? That usually complicates the V2 software installation. Which ECU firmware version is it?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5328#post15328 (Holley forum post.)
    http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=576207 (Similar forum post.)

Figured as much. I will wipe it off my laptop and try again when I get home next week.

Figured as much. I will wipe it off my laptop and try again when I get home next week.
    First determine the ECU's firmware version before you delete it from your laptop (if it allows you to be connected "Online" with the ECU).

You'll need to completely remove both versions of USB drivers from the Control Panel ("Add/Remove Programs" or "Programs/Features").
    And completely remove the Holley EFI software from the "Control Panel", "My Documents" (Holley folder) and the "C:Drive" (Program Files, Holley folder).

Then install the V2 Holley EFI software. If you then have problems, read these two posts:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....5328#post15328 (Holley forum post pertaining to Holley EFI software problems.)
    http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=576207 (Similar forum post pertaining to Windows 8 operating system.)