Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Idle Issues On Startup

I will check on the cam. I should mention that 8 degrees was the initial setting before plugging in the vacuum advance.
    Not sure what the reading is with the advance plugged in. I will have to check that.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by 442SCOTTY View Post
    I should mention that 8 degrees was the initial setting before plugging in the vacuum advance.
    Oh...this is not a computer controlled (ECU) timing application?

Not sure what the reading is with the advance plugged in. I will have to check that.
    So is the vacuum advance connected to full manifold vacuum or timed (ported) vacuum?

Vacuum advance should be connected to full manifold vacuum; not ported.
    8°-12° of vacuum advance is the typical limit (some canisters are adjustable).
    The timed (ported) spark port is only for emissions/EGR engines.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Not ECU controlled yet. I had it plugged into the front port. I will try plugging it into the rear port and see what that does.

I had it plugged into the front port.
    Yeah, that's the "Timed Spark Port"; wrong port. What size camshaft?
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10653rev9.pdf (See page 8.)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I will change it before I drive home. When I saw the vacuum advance notation in the picture, that's where I plugged it in.

I will change it before I drive home.
    OK. However, sometimes the distributor doesn't have a timing advance curve specifically tailored for vacuum advance
    connected to "full manifold vacuum". So you may have more work to do. ECU controlled ignition timing is so much easier!

When I saw the vacuum advance notation in the picture, that's where I plugged it in.
    I know what you mean. I hate that it's named "Timed Spark Port", because it's very misleading!
    It's named that because it can only be used for a vacuum advance canister...as limited as it is (application-wise).

My cam duration is 206° intake 212° exhaust.
    Smooth idle Xtreme Energy Comp Cams 422204.

My cam duration is 206° intake 212° exhaust.
    I would use 15°-20° of timing at idle. (It should idle much better than at 8°.)

And that's with the advance hooked up I take it. I will put the light on it and see what it reads.

And that's with the advance hooked up I take it.
    Yes. I keep forgetting your timing isn't ECU controlled yet!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast