Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: FAST Dual Sync Distributor Instructions - Holley EFI

Gotcha. Purchased two weeks ago, so not sure on early or late version, but no loose white wire, no pin in A6-P1A. No mention of
    a white wire in the Terminator instructions, and it's even asterisked in the pin-out as not being populated. Does mention it in
    pin-out full diagram in the very back.

Quote Originally Posted by jlast View Post
    Purchased two weeks ago, so not sure on early or late version, but no loose white wire, no pin in A6-P1A. No mention of
    a white wire in the Terminator instructions, and it's even asterisked in the pin-out as not being populated.
    We've already established all this! If the loose white wire isn't in your Terminator harness, it must be added for the FAST Dual Sync distributor & CD ignition box application.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....als-Holley-EFI (ECU Connectors & Terminals)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Hi! I'm new to this, so excuse me if I don't know what I'm doing!

I'm installing an HP EFI in a '70 Chevelle with a 502 - Fast Dual Sync Distributor. The ECU will be about a 1˝ feet from the center of the firewall in the center, and the distributor leads outside the firewall will only be about 8-10 inches from there. I have a Unterminated Kit, so there will be no other connector from the ECU to the distributor. I'm going to install a sealed 4 pin connector at the distributor.

Do you think I need to keep the shielding on the cam/crank leads at all? Or up to the firewall on the inside, and not on the outside of the firewall? Just trying to keep things as clean as possible in the engine bay, and keep my hole as small as possible through the firewall. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by StreetPro View Post
    Do you think I need to keep the shielding on the cam/crank leads at all? Or up to the firewall on the inside, and not on the outside of the firewall?
    When using shielded cable, it's supposed to be run all the way to the sensors.

If a custom shielded cable is used, the "drain wire" is only supposed to be grounded at one end.
    1) Holley ECUs already have the shield (drain) wire connection/pin grounded inside, so don't ground it at the sensor end.
    2) The ECU already has the pull-up resistor for sinking output (open collector) sensors inside, so don't add anything.
    http://www.newark.com/pdfs/techartic...haWire/USC.pdf (Shielded Wiring - look for "drain wire" on page 2 & 3.)

Just trying to keep things as clean as possible in the engine bay, and keep my hole as small as possible through the firewall.
    Using shielded cable will be just as clean, and it's diameter won't be much larger.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I have an HP system wired with a Unterminated Universal Harness and FAST distributor installed. I'm not getting ignition (get a single fire once in a while). The CAM & CRANK lights in the distributor are flashing what looks to be correct. The light on the MSD box doesn't flash except for once in a while at the same time as the odd single fire. I get RPM steadily and over 400 when the single fire happens. Is there a way to test the white loose wire (Points Output, A6). What else could be causing this?
    Last edited by TurboCamaro; 11-19-2015 at 09:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboCamaro View Post
    The light on the MSD box doesn't flash except for once in a while at the same time as the odd single fire. I get RPM steadily and over 400 when the single fire happens.
    Ensure the Custom Ignition Parameters (System Parameters) are programmed as outlined in post #1.
    Don't use 1.5 msec Dwell Time. Too many people have experienced problems with losing the trigger. Set it to 2.0 msec.
    This is just a ground trigger and has nothing to do with coil dwell, which is controlled by the CD ignition box.

Is there a way to test the white loose wire (Points Output, A6).
    Testing the MSD CD ignition box.
    Points Output - white wire & Magnetic Pickup - violet/green triggering:
    https://www.msdperformance.com/suppo...ng_techniques/ (Troubleshooting Info)

It seems I'm get getting crank interference on the cam signal.

Maybe a ground? I have the main powers & grounds direct to the battery. The loose black wire going to the fuel pump relay, and the ignition is grounded to the body with good grounds to the engine & battery. This loose black wire, I don't believe is used with the FAST distributor as Ignition Connector pin D is plugged on the adapter harness, 558-313.

Pin C of the Ignition Connector is used in the FAST harness going to pin A14, IPU Ground of the P1A Connector. This also splices to pins G, J & K of the Ignition Connector, but again aren't used on the FAST harness. The Cam & Crank leads are in separate shielded cables, both with grounds that terminate at A14 of the P1A Connector. When using an Unterminated Universal Harness, which of these grounds should go to Pin C of the Ignition Connector (actually to the Signal Ground of the distributor)? Or should a different ground be utilized? Thanks, Eldon

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SL_20Nov2015.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	1450

It seems I'm get getting crank interference on the cam signal.
    Yes, it appears something is wrong with the cam sensor.

Pin C of the Ignition Connector is used in the FAST harness going to pin A14, IPU Ground of the P1A Connector. This also splices to pins G, J & K of the Ignition Connector, but again aren't used on the FAST harness. The Cam & Crank leads are in separate shielded cables, both with grounds that terminate at A14 of the P1A Connector. When using an Unterminated Universal Harness, which of these grounds should go to Pin C of the Ignition Connector (actually to the Signal Ground of the distributor)? Or should a different ground be utilized?
    I think post #3 of this thread answers this question.

Thanks Danny. Your comment something is wrong with the Cam Sensor, are you thinking something wrong with the sensor itself (I.E. bad distributor) or a wiring issue?

My power is +12V switched, not clean ECU power, so will move this to pin B20. In looking at how to get B20 clean power to the distributor, I found that this is the red power that's in the Cam & Crank shielded harnesses.

On the IPU ground, post #3 identifies as cavity C or G of the Ignition Connector. Do these both go back to pin A14? With an Unterminated Universal Harness, the Cam & Crank leads are shielded cables, both with a black wire that goes back to pin A14. Should I use one of these and if so, which one or should they be joined, and both be used for the distributor ground? Thanks.
    Last edited by TurboCamaro; 11-21-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Your comment something is wrong with the Cam Sensor, are you thinking something wrong with the sensor itself (I.E. bad distributor) or a wiring issue?
    Well, I'm not sure. Your System Log indicates the cam sensor signal pattern is not uniform.

My power is +12V switched, not clean ECU power, so will move this to pin B20. In looking at how to get B20 clean power to the distributor, I found that this is the red power that's in the Cam & Crank shielded harnesses.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....7990#post47990 (Wiring Modification To Pin B20, "EST +12V Output")

On the IPU ground, post #3 identifies as cavity C or G of the Ignition Connector. Do these both go back to pin A14? With an Unterminated Universal Harness, the Cam & Crank leads are shielded cables, both with a black wire that goes back to pin A14. Should I use one of these and if so, which one or should they be joined, and both be used for the distributor ground?
    Simply use pin A14 "IPU Ground" from the P1A ECU connector, to ground the sensors.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (For Reference Use - Holley EFI Wiring Manual - Section 13 Wiring Appendix)