Thread: Hooker 6920 Problems

towpro Guest

Default Hooker 6920 Problems

I bought a set of #6920 competition headers for my 1970 merc cyclone, 351 clev 4v heads, floor shift auto, passenger side bolted up fine, drivers side collector was too high and to the outside of the groove in the cross member making the header almost impossible to bolt up. so, sent em back and ordered a second set thinking perhaps it was a factory goof. installed the second set, same issue, drivers side collector is up against the cross member and set out to the outside of the half round notch in the cross member. i refuse to modify the stock cross member as parts for these cars are getting hard to find, and not really wanting to modify a new set of headers that hooker says will fit my application. Have used hooker exclusively in the past with out a prob, so short of cutting my new headers what are my options here ? how to resolve this issue ?

towpro Guest

wow, after wasting 3 weeks of my time asking for pics ect, hooker has said there is no prob with their fine product and basicly told me to just return them and get my money back, suggesting my car is the problem, sagging, rusty, prior accident issues ect, never mind its never been hit or wrecked, had 51k on the odometer original miles. i finally decided to cut off the collector, reposition it to where it needed to be and tig welded it back on, prob solved. No compensation from hooker, no return call from quality control as i was told i would recieve, no nothing, tho in all fairness, the tech line person i dealt with, did all he could do, the company failed him and me. perhaps i expected more from a large and well known company. Sorry hooker, you dropped the ball on this one, never again will i deal with your company, nor will i recommend you either. the internet is a wonderful tool, makes one person into many.

I just thought I'd mention this. I once helped someone with a very similar issue and the problem was the engine was actually tilted to one side (from prior replacement of the motor mounts). This is possible with early Ford motor mounts, due to the way the motor mounts bolt to the frame stands. Once we positioned the engine straight, the headers fit fine (and a few other things under the car too).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

towpro Guest

Danny, thought of that too after the first set wouldnt fit, motor is sitting level and proper in the engine bay, measured out correct, hooker says the set they sent fit the jig perfectly, but they need to test fit a set on a car like mine lol and they will see what needs to be done to correct them.