Thread: HP EFI For New LS3 Crate Engine

Default HP EFI For New LS3 Crate Engine

Hello,
    I'm preparing to swap a new GM LS3 crate engine into a BMW E36 M3. I'm not familiar with ECU tuning and people tell me the HP EFI has some nice user friendly features for beginners like me. What is nice is "self tuning" via wideband.
    I have some novice questions:
    1. I can't find OBD2 port in wiring harness. How I will read error codes? Via CAN Bus supported devices? BMW is OBD1 or OBD2, no CAN Bus in this older vehicles.
    2. How to convert LS3 from Drive-By-Wire to cable operated throttle body? Which parts I need? HP EFI don't support DBW and Dominator EFI is too much for me.
    3. Do I have MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) bulk wire in harness?
    4. How to run a tach?
    5. I will use T56 Magnum. Where to connect 3 sensors from tranny?
    6. If I understand, I don't need to use oxygen sensors and mass air flow sensor with HP EFI (wideband)?
    7. My engine will be pollution tested. This is an important fact or not?
    8. Can't find connector for alternator in harness?

Quote Originally Posted by foler View Post
    1. I can't find OBD2 port in wiring harness. How I will read error codes?
    The Holley EFI systems are aftermarket engine management systems, and therefore, don't interface with the OEM ECU at all.

2. How to convert LS3 from Drive-By-Wire to cable operated throttle body? Which parts I need?
    You'll need to use a cable operated LSx throttle body or an aftermarket unit.

3. Do I have MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) bulk wire in harness?
    Again, the Holley EFI systems don't interface with the OEM ECU at all.

4. How to run a tach?
    With DIS/CNP/COP ignition, the Holley harness has a dedicated wire to operate a 12V square wave tachometer.
    The end of this document has a note about the LSx loose blue/white wire for a tachometer:
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...R10597rev2.pdf (LSx Main Harness Notice)
    It outputs a 12V square wave, same as the Tach Out on an MSD box. No adapter required.
    Some factory OEM tachometers may need a "tach signal amplifier" to function properly.

5. I will use T56 Magnum. Where to connect 3 sensors from tranny?
    Only the Dominator ECU is capable of electronic transmission control.

6. If I understand, I don't need to use oxygen sensors and mass air flow sensor with HP EFI (wideband)?
    The Holley EFI systems use their own MAP sensor (Speed Density EFI) and their own wideband O2 sensor(s).

7. My engine will be pollution tested. This is an important fact or not?
    My vehicle used to pass mandatory State Emissions Testing with a carburetor; I could have done it much easier with user programmable EFI.

8. Can't find connector for alternator in harness?
    The Holley EFI harnesses don't have an "alternator" connector.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    The Holley EFI systems are aftermarket engine management systems, and therefore, don't interface with the OEM ECU at all.
    OK, but how to know if something is wrong with engine? Where is error codes?

You'll need to use a cable operated LSx throttle body or an aftermarket unit.
    OK

Only the Dominator ECU is capable of electronic transmission control.
    T56 Magnum is manual transmission. So I can't connect any of sensors (VSS, reverse lockout...) to HP EFI?

The Holley EFI systems use their own MAP sensor (Speed Density EFI) and their own wideband O2 sensor(s).
    OK

My vehicle used to pass mandatory State Emissions Testing with a carburetor; I could have done it much easier with user-programmable EFI.
    Nice

The Holley EFI harnesses don't have an "alternator" connector.
    Where or how to connect GM alternator?

Quote Originally Posted by foler View Post
    OK, but how to know if something is wrong with engine? Where is error codes?
    Primarily by viewing the Data Monitor and recording Datalogs.
    Some of the sensors have programmable caution & warning outputs.
    Also, some of the sensors will indicate a diagnostic status light:
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...20Statuses.pdf

T56 Magnum is manual transmission. So I can't connect any of sensors (VSS, reverse lockout...) to HP EFI?
    Yes, you can. Here's an example of how to connect a VSS sensor to the ECU:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ith-Holley-EFI

Where or how to connect GM alternator?
    Isn't the alternator connected to the vehicle's electrical system?
    Or is the charge output somehow controlled by the OEM ECU?
    The Holley EFI harness only connects to +12V, Ground & switched +12V.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...10555rev17.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual - see pages 35 & 37.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.