Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Idle Surging!

Default Idle Surging!

I've got the new Holley EFI HP. For the life of me, I can't get the idle to quit surging from 750 to 950. Does anyone have a fool proof system?

Default Idle Surging

Has the Learning self-tuned the idle area? Is the Base Timing Table advance flat in the idle area?
    Has the idle speed screw been adjusted to achieve an IAC Position of about 3% at hot idle?
    Perform another TPS AutoSet, whenever you adjust the idle speed screw on the throttle body.
    Is the proper "Advanced Idle Control" & "IAC Type" selected in the Idle ICF? "Slow" may be best.
    Try blocking off the IAC passage to see if it stabilizes the idle. If so, it may be IAC related.
    Is the "Enable Closed Loop" and "Base Fuel Learn Enabled" parameter check marked?
    What's your Ignition Type and how are your Ignition Parameters configured?
    Is it possible that the ignition timing isn't synchronized with the ECU? (Link)
    Using a timing light for misfire detection works well (watch for consistent flashing).
    Is this a naturally aspirated engine and are you using a naturally aspirated base calibration?
    Ensure the Learning isn't working because of repeated "RPM Errors", causing repeated ECU "syncing".
    If you don't have an electronic transmission, remove the Transmission ICF from the top Toolbar.
    Have you tried manually tuning the idle in Open Loop? (Disable Closed Loop in System Parameters.)
    If it runs right in Open Loop, you could have a defective WBO2 sensor or a wrong setting in Closed Loop/Learn Parameters.

See if you're experiencing a wideband O2 sensor failure:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ning-very-rich!
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....sue-sputtering

Lastly, see if something in either of these threads help:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ist-Holley-EFI (Troubleshooting Checklist)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....e-Tuning-Notes (EFI Idle Tuning Notes)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I am running a manual idle tune. I'm running at 30 degrees timing at idle, is that too high? My IAC is moving lots in the 30 range...

Quote Originally Posted by s/s View Post
    I am running a manual idle tune.
    Does this mean you've manually tuned the idle area?

I'm running at 30 degrees timing at idle, is that too high?
    Probably not high enough to cause an idle surge.
    However, I know nothing about your engine combination.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I am trying to manually tune the idle, but for whatever reason, it wont stay steady...I have a steady 19 in/Hg of vacuum on the gauge, so I don't think it's a vacuum leak.

OK, IAC is down to 5 when warm at idle...but now, off idle it goes right lean!!! From 12.1 at idle to 18 when giving it a little throttle. (This is a stock 6.0L LQ4, stock everything with a turbo.)

...but now, off idle it goes right lean!!!
    From 12.1 at idle to 18 when giving it a little throttle.
    (This is a stock 6.0L LQ4, stock everything with a turbo.)
    Which bar MAP sensor are you using and which base calibration did you start with?

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....le-won-t-start (Correct MAP sensor, wrong base calibration.)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ne-won-t-start (Correct MAP sensor, wrong base calibration.)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ple-SC-install (Correct MAP sensor, wrong base calibration.)

OK I got a 2 bar MAP sensor, and we put a custom calibration in - 364ci. all the standard stuff...because they didn't have anything similar to what I had. I also have a turbo running at 12 #s.

OK I read those three threads...but which calibration do I use...maybe I have to start with a whole new tune?

Funny thing is...I did the IAC this morning, and got the idle down to 700 RPM, and no surging! I come home from work, and the thing would barely idle and its bucking and everything. I had to redo the fuel on the map...nothing seems to stay where I put it! So I took it for a drive, the thing is surging and goes lean when I give it pedal...could it be a bad WBO2 sensor?

Once I get past 3000 RPM, this thing turns on like crazy! I have the timing set for 16 degrees on top end when the boost gets close to the 12 #s. Or does this make any difference?

OK I got a 2 bar MAP sensor...
    OK I read those three threads...but which calibration do I use...maybe I have to start with a whole new tune?
    If most of the ICFs on that base calibration look applicable, you should be able to use that GF as a starting point.
    However, you should copy & paste the entire Base Fuel Table from a base calibration using a 2 bar MAP sensor.
    The "302 Ford Turbo", "555 BBC Turbo" and "350-383ci Supercharged 14psi" base calibrations all use 2 bar MAP sensors.
    Also, look at the 2 bar Base Timing Tables too, and copy & paste the one that best applies to your engine.

Very similar to what this user did here: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....8677#post28677

OK Danny, I've got a new computer to start from scratch. I went into Create New Global Folder, but there is no turbo applications as you listed. Where do I find these? Do I need updates or something from Holley? I just bought this system a few months ago?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast