Thread: Gray Brake Wire

JayD Guest

Question Gray Brake Wire

My question concerns the Gray Brake wire on the 4L60E harness.When I hook it up and turn on the ignition the fuel pump won't prime and the engine will not start. As soon as I disconnect the wire the pump comes on and the engine will start. Does any body have any ideas as to why this might be happening? I have yet to get a reply from Holley on this matter.

Tom K Guest

I had a similar problem and traced it to a poor body ground.
    Make sure you have sufficient engine, chassis, and body grounds. The gray wire will unlock the converter any time the brake is depressed. Provided your transmission parameters are set correctly, the transmission will function fine with it disconnected. Tom

JayD Guest

Talking Gray wire problem

Quote Originally Posted by Tom K View Post
    I had a similar problem and traced it to a poor body ground.
    Make sure you have sufficient engine, chassis, and body grounds. The gray wire will unlock the converter any time the brake is depressed. Provided your transmission parameters are set correctly, the transmission will function fine with it disconnected. Tom
    All my grounds are good. I had the truck running great on Saturday, And as soon as I hooked up the wire the truck started to run like crap. It started hesitating when I hit the gas. Also when I stepped on the brakes it wanted to stall out. I should also point out that when the wire is hooked up, I CAN'T START THE TRUCK UNLESS the brake is depressed. You say the Trans will work fine with out the wire being hooked up.