Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: LS1 Idle Surge

Any ideas on isolating the problem? Seems unlikely all coils would go bad at same time. Can't recall if this started around same time I updated to V2 firmware. Tried different plug wires. Could this be a cam or crank sensor issue?

Quote Originally Posted by vette09 View Post
    Any ideas on isolating the problem? Seems unlikely all coils would go bad at same time.
    What's your Ignition Type and how are your Ignition Parameters configured?
    Is it possible that the ignition timing isn't synchronized with the ECU?

Could this be a cam or crank sensor issue?
    In post #4, I asked if the Learning isn't working because of repeated "RPM Errors", causing repeated ECU "syncing".
    Also, if you don't have an electronic transmission, remove the Transmission ICF from the top Toolbar.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Standard LS1 ignition, didn't change any ignition parameters from LS1 Global Folder. Timing is synced and I have not had any RPM Errors that I know of. I am running 4L65E transmission. Thing that bugs me the most is on initial start up it was not missing it just started surging when it started to warm up. I believe that was because I did not have the idle set right so IAC could work. Then like all the sudden it started running rough and started missing. Ever since, it just starts surging like it's looking for something.

Thing that bugs me the most is on initial start up it was not missing it just started surging when it started to warm up.
    That's because a cold engine can tolerate a rich AFR condition, but not when it's hot.
    Is the "Enable Closed Loop" and "Base Fuel Learn Enabled" parameter check marked?
    The latter isn't check marked in the LS1 base calibration, so ensure it is.
    At this point, you need to address the misfiring ignition coils.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Still struggling to find the source of the misfires. Tried new wires & plugs, no luck. Swapped coils around, no luck. Timing light doesn't seem reliable in tracking the problem. Any ideas?

Still struggling to find the source of the misfires.
    If your Ignition Parameters are correctly programmed, the Firing Order correctly entered, no RPM Errors and it's wired correctly...then the misfires probably aren't EFI related (in terms of a malfunction). Keep in mind, if the air/fuel ratio is filthy rich (for whatever reason), it could very well cause the misfiring (especially if the ignition system is weak).

Timing light doesn't seem reliable in tracking the problem.
    If your timing light is functioning properly, it should be a clear indication of a misfire (consistent flashing with RPM speed).

Good news! Finally have an engine that idles smooth and no surging. Turned out base LS1 Global Folder in library was not what I needed for my combination. Installed new ICFs for each parameter most similar to my engine instead of standards from LS1 Global Folder (after chasing a now obvious misdiagnosed misfire & wasting a few $$) and everything started working MUCH better. Now I get to start test driving! New TSLCD is working sweet now too. Thanks for the help and motivation. I'm sure I'll need help testing & tuning the nitrous!

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    If your Ignition Parameters are correctly programmed, the Firing Order correctly entered, no RPM Errors and it's wired correctly...then the misfires probably aren't EFI related (in terms of a malfunction).
    Turned out base LS1 Global Folder in library was not what I needed for my combination.
    Yeah, I had a feeling some software parameters may have been set wrong...but the misfire thing confused the issue.
    Out of curiosity, which ICFs (Individual Configuration Files) were causing most of your GF (Global Folder) problems?

I changed Base Fuel, Idle and Spark. I think Base Fuel and Idle were the biggest. Warmed up, went right into Learn. CL Compensation dropped to virtually zero. Target idle within a few RPM.

I changed Base Fuel, Idle and Spark. I think Base Fuel and Idle were the biggest.
    Nice work. You ultimately used the ICF parameters from which base calibration?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast