Thread: SBF Dominator no start help

Default SBF Dominator no start help

OK, so I am now scratching my head. I need help. I have installed the Dominator EFI system on my SBF 410W N/A (at this time). I have gone through the install and quick start over a dozen times now to see where my error is and can not see it. So I have done the TPS AutoSet and such, but still am not able to get the car started. It hits and dies, hits runs for 5 secs and dies. I was watching the Sensor display and see my RPM reading changes from an RPM number such as 800 RPM, to sync, to Error, then stall at times. Now this does not happen each time. But 90% of time time I can watch it change around. I assume it is due to the vehicle has not started and gotten a base timing mark yet. Hell I don't know. LOL!
    here is what I am working with.

410W N/A at this time. Will be going turbo when everything is lined out (chassis and all).
    42 lb green tops
    Digital 6AL
    Ford TFI MSD Distributor
    I used the 302 turbo base tune as this is the only SBF base tune I saw. Dropped the startup enrichment down.
    I also have a 3 bar map sensor at this time due to needing to go with turbo in the future.

I am suspect of the Fuel Tables since I have a 3 bar and a "turbo base map" installed. Am I on the right track and if so do I need a 1 bar map to get it running in N/A form to start and what base map is recommended?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    I was watching the Sensor display and see my RPM reading changes from an RPM number such as 800 RPM, to sync, to Error, then stall at times.
    This is most likely the problem. Once the engine is started, you shouldn't see any RPM Errors.
    Since the Ford TFI distributor provides both, crank & cam signals (sequential EFI), I'd start troubleshooting the TFI module or PIP sensor.

The distributor transmits the RPM signal to the ECU.
    Look at the "Ignition Signal Flow Chart" on page 19 of the Holley EFI Wiring Manual:
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...10555rev15.pdf
    Substitute Crank Trigger with distributor and Aftermarket Ignition Box with module.
    (The "Ignition Signal Flow Chart" applies to all ignition applications.)

I would also check your Ford fuel injector harness:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ith-Holley-EFI

Did you synchronize the ignition timing when you installed the TFI distributor?
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI

I am suspect of the Fuel Tables since I have a 3 bar and a "turbo base map" installed. Am I on the right track and if so do I need a 1 bar map to get it running in N/A form to start and what base map is recommended?
    No, as long as you have a 3 bar MAP sensor, and you're using a 3 bar base calibration, you're fine.
    It's just like running a turbo engine, in the 'off boost' regions of the Fuel Table.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Well as this was a running vehicle that was already at 10°. I did not mess with the distributor at first. Then I did read through your post and set it as described but still unable to start vehicle. Also doesn't that indicate that you should lock the distributor down after vehicle is idleing? I have rewired the injector harness as indicated in post. Double checked it and triple checked it due to it acts as a vehicle that is out of time. I have a spare TFI module that I will slap on tonight and try, but it was a running vehicle prior to injection swap.

Quote Originally Posted by Harsesis View Post
    Also, doesn't that indicate that you should lock the distributor down after vehicle is idleing?
    Yes. With a GM HEI & Ford TFI, think of the 10° Ignition Reference Angle as a software setting (it's not your idle timing).
    Then synchronize the timing at idle and lock it down. Believe your timing light above all else; it's always the accurate timing.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.