Thread: ECU Help

Default ECU Help

I was driving my car and it shut off. The plugs are firing but the pump wont come on or the injectors pulse. When I hook up the laptop to the ECU, it's all blank, no settings in there. I can't get the ECU to take or receive data. Any ideas would be great to hear.

Seems like your ECU is in password protection mode (ECU "online" but zeros everywhere). The newer firmware version is supposed to resolve this. Enter the Engine Parameters screen and double click on the frame surrounding the injection type strategies; "Port Inj (1 PW per 1 Rev)", "Port Inj (1 PW per 2 Rev)" & "Throttle Body Inj". This will unlock it and allow you to reload your engine file, if this is the problem.

Also, check to ensure that your software version is compatible with your firmware version:
    1.xx = 1.xx
    2.xx = 2.xx
    3.xx = 3.xx

Scroll down to 'Commander 950' to download the latest software:
    https://www.holley.com/support/resou...Fuel_Injection
    Click on the About & Version tab (with the key-on) to find your current software & firmware versions.

I have a theory that this only seems to happen to those who started with a non-PRO C950 file. I always avoided this...even though the 'Force Default Values' function is supposed to convert non-Pro files (older software file) to Pro software compatibility. When data is corrupted, these are the parameters that are affected, so take a look:
    Map (kPa) Load Scale
    Decel Fuel Cutoff
    Load Sense - Rpm below which unit is Alpha-N
    O2 Compensation Limit
    Target Air/Fuel Ratio Map or Target O2 Voltage
    Wideband O2 check box
    Enable Idle Spark Control
    Additional Timing vs. Coolant Temperature
    Rate of Change of MAP Sensor
    Pulse Width-Rate of Change of TPS
    Fuel Map
    Spark Map
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thank you Danny. That worked, I got it running again. I just need to retune, but that's a lot better than buying a new system.

Quote Originally Posted by jhat View Post
    I just need to retune, but that's a lot better than buying a new system.
    You should always keep a copy of your tune on file, so it's never really lost.
    Below is a copy & paste of a post I wrote, detailing this procedure:

Just to be clear, when you're initially connecting your laptop to the C950 ECU for usual monitoring or tuning purposes (with key-on), you do not need any of the commands under the 'File' menu. Just turn the key on and your entire map is uploaded and ready for navigation and/or tuning.

After tuning or making changes (with key-on), if you don't want to save any data to disk, then you still don't need any of the commands under the 'File' menu because the tuning or changes were already saved in 'real time' with the key-on. Simply close out of the C950 software.

After tuning or making changes (with key-on) and you want to save the data on disk (with all the other base maps), then you'd select 'Retrieve ECU Data' and 'Save Data To Disk' immediately afterwards.

If you want to send a different or updated map to the ECU (with key-on) such as:
    a) going from a daily driver economy map to a dragstrip race map (obviously requires both versions saved on disk)
    b) reverting back to a previously saved and tuned version of your map (because you made 'real time' changes you don't like)
    c) updating ECU memory with changes you made from inside your home with the key-off (disconnected from vehicle)
    then you'd select 'Open Data From Disk', choose the map and 'Send ECU Data' immediately afterwards.
    I always do this after reviewing a datalog and subsequently tuning a fuel map from my office while eating lunch.

I like to think of these two ways of storing data as:
    1) ECU memory (in 'real time' with key-on)
    2) Disk memory (requires commands under 'File' menu)
    They're both non-volatile EPROM memory storage (Erasable Programmable Read Only Memory) even if the battery is disconnected.

I almost forgot to mention something. For a long time now, I've been in the habit of only opening one window (screen) at a time. Use the 'Hot Keys'. The C950 can do some strange things if you have too many screens open at one time (minimized or not). This may have a lot to do with the particular laptop computer used.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.