Thread: Ford Bronco 400

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Ford Bronco 400

Hi to all. I'm Paulo from Argentina. I have a 400 with TMeyer pistons. I'm now running a Barry Grant Road Series 625 CFM, MSD 8477 distributor and 6AL multi-spark box, but I'm planing to get a bolt on EFI system. My carb has a nice throttle response but I think this EFI system could be better. Also, EFI has another advantages. I couldn't contact anyone to use a Terminator EFI on a rig like mine. The first thing I see is that this system is 900 CFM, and I do not know how to calculate the necessary EFI system CFM, like you do for a carburetor. I was watching Danny Cabral's Bronco and I think he could answer many of my questions. Thanks, Gracias

Quote Originally Posted by abrojal View Post
    The first thing I see is that this system is 900 CFM, and I do not know how to calculate the necessary EFI system CFM, like you do for a carburetor.
    Actually, the Terminator EFI uses a 950 CFM throttle body.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...9129#post69129 (Sniper EFI vs Terminator EFI)

Fuel injected engines don't suffer from oversize throttle bodies like carbureted engines do,
    because the fuel can always be properly metered to the amount of air entering the engine.
    Fuel injected engines don't rely on engine breathing (venturi effect) for proper fuel metering.

The 700 cfm TBI throttle body has 1½" bores, and actually flows about 650 cfm with the injector pod.
    The 900 cfm TBI throttle body has 1¾" bores, and actually flows about 850 cfm with the injector pod.
    The 950 cfm TBI throttle body has 1¾" bores, and actually flows 950 cfm because there's no injector pod.
    Holley TBI units are CFM rated the same way as four-barrel carburetors - at a depression of 1.5 in/Hg.
    (Two-barrel carburetors are rated at a depression of 3.0 in/Hg.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Thanks for your quick response. So you think a Terminator EFI would be best for my Bronco that an Avenger EFI, considering that rig is a daily driver?
    Danny, do you think I can get a better fuel economy? I have heard that these bolt on systems can improve up to 30% fuel economy, but it seems to me too much.

So you think a Terminator EFI would be best for my Bronco that an Avenger EFI, considering that rig is a daily driver?
    Yeah, the Terminator will be fine. It uses the same ECU as the Avenger/HP EFI, and the throttle body flows 50 CFM more.

Danny, do you think I can get a better fuel economy?
    That depends on how well the carburetor was tuned. Fuel economy is a result of how well you can tune EFI. The base calibrations offer good starting, idling, driveability and power. The potential for great fuel economy exists, however, you must tune your particular application to achieve it. The Terminator & Avenger EFI systems can also be laptop tuned, so they're excellent for first time EFI users.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

OK Danny, your answer is very interesting and complete. I think I've decided to buy a Terminator, and although I did not get a better economy, at least it will be equal to that of a well-tuned carburetor. Mine is giving me 9 miles per gallon on highway. Only remains to choose the Fuel System Kits, which apparently differ in the accessories, but the pumps are similar.

...at least it will be equal to that of a well-tuned carburetor. Mine is giving me 9 miles per gallon on highway.
    Oh, it can definitely return better fuel economy.
    My previous 460 big block Ford (400 horsepower) got 13 MPG (city) with a Commander 950,
    electric fans & Lentech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD. Here's another good example:
    http://www.carsandparts.com/en/exper...-simple-1.html (Read "Dyno and Drive" segment - 16.5 MPG with an 860HP/742TQ 555" BBC)