Thread: ECU Learning Time

Default ECU Learning Time

How long do I run in "Learning" mode before I "Transfer Learning To Base" and start tuning cold start and such? Does ECU alter the Base Fuel Table as the Learn Table change or does it just add/subtract according to Learn Table? I have been running my setup a few months now, and it seems to run good. Not able to start without touching the gas pedal but I will look into that later. Find it very hard to adjust IAC. Takes a really long time for it to settle. For now I have adjusted throttle blades so that it will keep car running in gear, and not idle to high in neutral. 800 RPM in gear and approximately 950 RPM hot in neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by 1967c10 View Post
    How long do I run in "Learning" mode before I "Transfer Learning To Base" and start tuning cold start and such?
    You don't necessarily ever have to "Transfer Learning To Base", unless you've reached the Learned Compensation Limits % or you want to blend in the entire Fuel Graph (fine-tuning).

Does ECU alter the Base Fuel Table as the Learn Table change or does it just add/subtract according to Learn Table?
    The Learn Table is a modifier of the Base Fuel Table. These two Tables actually function together as one.

I have been running my setup a few months now, and it seems to run good. Not able to start without touching the gas pedal but I will look into that later.
    Read this post for startup tuning tips:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2472#post12472

Find it very hard to adjust IAC. Takes a really long time for it to settle. For now I have adjusted throttle blades so that it will keep car running in gear, and not idle to high in neutral.
    Adjust the idle speed screw on throttle body, to achieve an IAC Position of about 3% at hot idle.
    Remember to perform another TPS AutoSet, whenever you adjust the idle speed screw on the throttle body.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Do you have an advice on some good starting points on IAC Ramp Down settings?
    On a fairly mild Chevy 350 with TPI? It takes forever for the IAC to settle after a RPM rise.
    When I adjust throttle blades IAC goes from 75 to around 30% kind of quick,
    there it stalls and count down percent by percent for maybe a minute or more. Is this normal?
    Today's settings are:
    IAC Hold Position 75%
    Ramp Decay Time 2 sec
    RPM Above Idle to Start Ramp 400 RPM
    RPM Above Idle to Re-enable Idle Control 50 RPM
    Last edited by 1967c10; 05-22-2013 at 06:55 AM.

Today's settings are:
    IAC Hold Position - 75%
    Ramp Decay Time - 2 sec
    RPM Above Idle to Start Ramp - 400 RPM
    RPM Above Idle to Re-enable Idle Control - 50 RPM
    I can't imagine those settings working well.
    Below are typical IAC Ramp Down settings:
    What are your following IAC Control/Ramp Down parameters set to?
    Advanced Idle Control: ......................... Slow (Usually the best control.) Sniper EFI users select "Sniper TBI".
    IAC Type: .......................................... Stepper (4-wire), PWM (2-wire)
    IAC Hold Position: ................................ 10%-30%
    Ramp Decay Time: ............................... 1.0-3.0 sec
    RPM Above Idle To Start Ramp: ............. 1000 RPM
    RPM Above Idle To Re-enable Idle Control: 50-200 RPM (This setting can be finicky.)

EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    - On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    - When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    - Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I can't imagine those settings working well.
    It didn't ;-)
    Will try those this afternoon, learning as I go by. See if I can get my throttle blades set, then some startup tuning.

See if I can get my throttle blades set, then some startup tuning.
    I agree with your course of action. The IAC settings are only effective if the throttle blades are properly adjusted.
    Adjust the idle speed screw on throttle body, to achieve an IAC Position of about 2% at hot idle.
    Remember to perform another TPS AutoSet, whenever you adjust the idle speed screw on the throttle body.
    In the Idle ICF, the "Target Idle Speed (RPM)" must be programmed to the desired RPM speed at hot idle.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....neral-IAC-Info (General IAC Info)

Finally looks like this setup is coming together, learned a lot in last months. Got the engine to start without touching the pedal yesterday :-D. Still need some fine tuning hot, but it starts. Took out app 10% of Cranking Fuel and started with IAC Parked Position around 30%. Fired right up but was a bit lean (18.3 AFR).

Many thanks to Danny for all the help throughout this project!