Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rev Limiter Question

Default Rev Limiter Question

I'm hooking up Rev Limiter #1. If I pin it to a certain one with a ground activation, it won't work. If I switch it to positive, it comes on without me activating anything and is real erratic. Is this built-in Rev Limiter like a soft touch...cause it sure don't seem like it. If it works in a erratic manner like this I need something else! Brian

Quote Originally Posted by s/s View Post
    If I pin it to a certain one with a ground activation, it won't work. If I switch it to positive, it comes on without me activating anything and is real erratic.
    You must be doing something wrong. What output activates the Rev Limiter #1? Are you using the Main Over-Rev Limiter?

Is this built-in Rev Limiter like a soft touch...cause it sure don't seem like it.
    There's four settings to choose from:

Description: There are 4 options available.

· Fuel Only – performs a “hard cut” of fuel flow only when the main over-rev HIGH RPM is hit. “Hard cut” means that fuel flow is stopped to all cylinders until the main over-rev LOW RPM setting is met.

· Spark Only – performs a “hard cut” of ignition only when the main over-rev HIGH RPM is hit. “Hard cut” means that ignition is stopped to all cylinders until the main over-rev LOW RPM setting is met.

· Fuel and Spark – performs a “hard cut” of ignition AND fuel flow when the main over-rev high RPM is hit.

· Soft – begins a “soft cut” of ignition when the main over-rev LOW RPM is hit. “Soft cut” means that ignition will be removed from individual cylinders as needed to limit RPM. If the HIGH RPM limit is reached, a hard cut will be implemented.

It is usually best to have a narrow range (20-50 RPM) between the LOW and HIGH RPM settings to reduce stress on the engine.
    EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    - On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    - When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    - Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

OK Danny, maybe I'm hooking up or identifying the pin wrong. Give me a pin # to use and where do I find a Pin Map with the colored wires, so I can find that specific color/pin #?

Which connector # is the one on the harness? J1, J2, J3, J4? These ones plug into the ECU? What # plug do they use on the harness, with 8 pins?

Give me a pin # to use and where do I find a Pin Map with the colored wires, so I can find that specific color/pin #?
    The Pin Map is located at the top Toolbar (next to the ICFs). It doesn't reference wire colors.
    Only the wiring diagrams at the end of the Holley EFI Wiring Manual indicate wire colors:
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...10555rev11.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)

What # plug do they use on the harness, with 8 pins?
    The 8-wire "Inputs/Outputs" harness connector is located a short distance from the ECU.
    To connect up to 4 Inputs & Outputs to the EFI main harness, use I/O Auxiliary Harness 558-400.
    Eight Wire I/O Auxiliary Harness Connector Pin-Out (also in the Holley EFI Wiring Manual Link):
    Pin A...A12...White/Blue (Input #1)
    Pin B...A3...White/Red (Input #2)
    Pin C...A13...White/Black (Input #3)
    Pin D...A4...White/Green (Input #4)
    Pin E...B12...Gray/Yellow (Output #1)
    Pin F...B11...Gray/Red (Output #2)
    Pin G...B10...Gray/Black (Output #3)
    Pin H...B3...Gray/Green (Output #4)

Which connector # is the one on the harness? J1, J2, J3, J4? These ones plug into the ECU?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HolleyECUs_zpsbd8866f7.jpg 
Views:	3737 
Size:	74.7 KB 
ID:	543
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & MT 245/45R17 tires.

OK I got it running, I have it set on soft! It don't seem very soft! LOL. I was running a MSD ignition with my last combo, and the soft touch MSD rev limiter was so mild, you could hardly hear it working. Have you had the pleasure of using a MSD limiter and how does it compare to the Holley? This Holley one I find hits on the cylinders pretty hard and I have high vs low settings split 40 rpm difference.

This Holley one I find hits on the cylinders pretty hard and I have high vs low settings split 40 rpm difference.
    If using the "Soft" Rev Limiter, there should be a 300-400 RPM range between the ON & OFF RPM. Actual rev limit will be within the two.
    The narrow range of 20-50 RPM, stated in the manual, is for the "hard cut" type Rev Limiters (Fuel Only, Spark Only, Fuel & Spark Only).
    (LINK) Remember, Holley EFI goes into Open Loop during the 2-Step activation (a good thing), so the Fuel Table must be well tuned.
    UPDATE: The 2-Step Rev Limiter (Rev Limiter #1 or #2 in Ignition Parameters) should be "Spark, High Only".

Also, which software & firmware versions are you using?
    The Soft Rev Limiter was improved in the V2 software/firmware.

Software & Firmware Versions:
    Software: click "Help" tab (top toolbar) & "About Holley EFI".
    Firmware: click "Sync With ECU" & "Get ECU Info" (Key-on/USB connected).
    The latest software & firmware can be downloaded here:
    http://www.holley.com/TechService/Li...#FuelInjection (Holley EFI Technical Library)
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...9R10546rev.pdf (HP & Dominator Quick Start Guide)
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...20Firmware.pdf (How To Update ECU Firmware)
    Before updating firmware, ensure the current Global Folder is saved somewhere, since it will be erased from the ECU.

The latest V2 software can be downloaded here: http://www.holley.com/TechService/Li...#FuelInjection
    Read the 199R10632rev5 PDF document for a "V2 Software Update Overview" (in "Holley EFI V2 Instructions").
    Be sure to successfully install the new V2 software, before installing the ECU firmware (read "V2 Update Instructions").
    Ensure the Holley EFI software is not open and the ECU is not powered on/connected when installing the new software.

OK Danny, I got the new version hooked up last night.
    We tried the Rev Limiter with the new version, and it seems the same as the old version. Should I see some improvement ?
    I tried moving the highs and lows around on the soft selection, the wider the spread the more radical it gets, especially wen the boost starts coming on.
    I don't think I could use this at the track. I'm trying to set it at 4000, but it gets so harsh it screws up my fuel map to a point where it stops making power.
    What do you suggest? Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    The Soft Rev Limiter was improved in the V2 software/firmware.
    I might be wrong about this detail, meaning the Soft Rev Limiter may not have been improved yet.
    I've questioned Holley EFI about it; I'll let you know as soon as I receive a response.

Thanks Danny, If there is no improvement, I'd sure like to know if there's a stand-alone unit that would work better.
    Cause I sure need better control on rpm launch at the track.
    If I do use this, by the time the engine recovers from the AFR going crazy, I'd lose the race! LOL. Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I might be wrong about this detail, meaning the Soft Rev Limiter may not have been improved yet.
    I've questioned Holley EFI about it; I'll let you know as soon as I receive a response.
    Well, it turns out I was right. The 2-Step Rev Limiter was improved in the V2 software/firmware.
    I was informed to use the "Soft" Rev Limiter #1 or #2, with a 300-400 RPM spread (ON & OFF RPM). Actual rev limit will be within the two.
    The narrow range of 20-50 RPM, stated in the manual, is for the "hard cut" type Rev Limiters (Fuel Only, Spark Only, Fuel & Spark Only).
    (LINK) Remember, Holley EFI goes into Open Loop during the 2-Step activation (a good thing), so the Fuel Table must be well tuned.
    UPDATE: The 2-Step Rev Limiter (Rev Limiter #1 or #2 in Ignition Parameters) should be "Spark, High Only".

Also, it's possible to use "Fixed Timing" while on the 2-Step Rev Limiter, which may promote a smoother and/or safer Rev Limiter.
    In the Boost Builder (Boost ICF), check mark "Trans Brake/Launch Enabled" (Parameters) and "Fixed Timing" (Boost Builder Functions).
    Furthermore, the "T-Brake/Launch" Input can be combined with the Rev Limiter #1 or #2 on the Pin Map, so there's no additional wiring.
    Naturally aspirated engines can also benefit from fixed timing, by using the Timing Retard #1 or #2 (Basic I/O - System Parameters).
    The
    Timing Retard #1 or #2 (Basic I/O) can be combined with the Rev Limiter #1 or #2 on the Pin Map, so there's no additional wiring.

There's four settings to choose from:

Description: There are 4 options available.

· Fuel Only – performs a “hard cut” of fuel flow only when the main over-rev HIGH RPM is hit. “Hard cut” means that fuel flow is stopped to all cylinders until the main over-rev LOW RPM setting is met.

· Spark Only – performs a “hard cut” of ignition only when the main over-rev HIGH RPM is hit. “Hard cut” means that ignition is stopped to all cylinders until the main over-rev LOW RPM setting is met.

· Fuel and Spark – performs a “hard cut” of ignition AND fuel flow when the main over-rev high RPM is hit.

· Soft – begins a “soft cut” of ignition when the main over-rev LOW RPM is hit. “Soft cut” means that ignition will be removed from individual cylinders as needed to limit RPM. If the HIGH RPM limit is reached, a hard cut will be implemented.

It is usually best to have a narrow range (20-50 RPM) between the LOW and HIGH RPM settings to reduce stress on the engine.
    EFI Software Help Information/Instructions:
    - On the top Toolbar, click "Help" & "Contents". This opens all Help topics.
    - When navigating the software, click "Help ?", drag it to any parameter and click again.
    ..This automatically opens the definitions for that specific parameter.
    - Tuning information can be read by clicking the F1 key, when you're viewing any screen.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast