Thread: Hello from Virginia

Default Hello from Virginia

I'm new to the Holley HP EFI system I had the PMS system on my Mustang. Trying to finish installing it. I ran into a problem with the TPS giving me Error 5 code, checked voltage and I only have 1.5V. Has anyone else had this problem if so what should I check? Thanks.
    Last edited by Kboss50; 05-05-2013 at 10:06 PM.

Check the wiring at the TPS connector.
    Zoom in on the wiring diagrams (Section 13), and look at the wiring configuration:
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...10555rev11.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)

Holley TPS sensor connector:
    Orange wire - 5V reference
    Black/White wire - ground
    Green wire - signal (center terminal on both style connectors)
    Cavity A=1, B=2, C=3

The ECU needs to read greater than a 1.0V change for the TPS AutoSet to be accepted, so the TPS may be defective or maladjusted.
    Is the throttle body lever moving through the same full range of motion, each time the accelerator is applied and released?
    If not, a TPS AutoSet Error will result. I prefer to actuate the throttle lever by hand when the engine is hot (key-on/engine-off).
    Also, since this isn't a Drive-By-Wire application, the DBW ICF can't be uploaded on your GF; a TPS AutoSet Error will result.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks for the reply. I looked at the diagram and I see the MAP and TPS sensor are tied together. I have 5 volts at the MAP sensor, just not on orange wire for TPS.

Quote Originally Posted by Kboss50 View Post
    I have 5 volts at the MAP sensor, just not on orange wire for TPS.
    Well, there's your problem. If 5 volts is at the MAP sensor's orange wire, then at least it exists toward the end of the harness.
    I'd perform an Ohms continuity test on the TPS orange wire to determine where the break is. It might be right at the factory splice.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

OK, I'll try that. Do you know about how far is the splice from the TPS connector?

Do you know about how far is the splice from the TPS connector?
    Look at figure 19, page 32:
    https://www.holley.com/document/tech...10555rev16.pdf (Holley EFI Wiring Manual)

Found problem! Called tech support and found the MAP sensor was pinned wrong from the factory. Would like to say thanks for the help.

...found the MAP sensor was pinned wrong from the factory.
    The MAP sensor or the TPS sensor? You said it was a TPS Error.

The MAP sensor was causing the short, but I noticed the problem while doing the TPS AutoSet. With both MAP & TPS plugged in, it would drop voltage.