Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holley carb - more pumps to start cold.

Default Holley carb - more pumps to start cold.

Hi. First post here, hoping for some help on this issue. I have a 1972 Cutlass Supreme 350 bored 40 over, upgraded cam and intake. Anyways, up until recently it only took 1 pump of the throttle to cold start, now recently I've noticed it takes 3 to 5 pumps. I was wondering what can I do or adjust to get it back to 1 pump of the throttle to start? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Check the choke and ensure the accelerator pump is properly adjusted:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5IB...D7BFF0&index=7 (Holley Choke Operation Video)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Nx5...D7BFF0&index=1 (Holley Accelerator Pump Video)
    Ensure that the slightest movement of the throttle lever, results in actuation
    of the accelerator pump lever. That spring loaded screw may need adjustment.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thank you for your reply! I went out, took the air breather off, moved the throttle lever and the primary closed. I looked inside the carb and pumped it and gas shot out, so I tried starting it and it started right up. I'm not sure if the round steel piece under the air breather was hitting something or what, but it started one pump I checked the electric choke tested it and it says 12 volts. One weird thing I noticed is that it has an inline fuel filter and it seems when it would run before and after I shut it off, the inline filter would be full of gas but now seems to be empty all the time, even when the car is running, I don't no why? Also, which I've never looked before this but I had it running and looked down in the carb and revved it up a bit and saw gas coming out the front of the carb, but even when it was full throttle I never saw any gas come out the back nor did I see the secondaries open up. Aren't I suppose to see gas in the back and secondaries open when it's running and at full throttle? If so, how can I get it to do that? Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by kev View Post
    Aren't I suppose to see gas in the back and secondaries open when it's running and at full throttle?
    Which Holley carburetor do you have? Vacuum or mechanical secondaries? Single or double pumper?
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I'm not positive. I found a number on the front top right, it's 10959 and have a box from when someone did a rebuild on the carb its a Holley Trick Kit high performance carb kit. The number on that is 37-119. If that don't help, can you please tell me what I should look for to identify it? Thank you.

EDIT: I looked it over real good again and found a few more numbers. I found on front right side of primary it says List 9834-1. The other I found was on top in by the secondary it says 6R 4585 B thats all I could find. Thanks.

i found the list number there talking about, it says list -9834-1 and below that is 0170

I found on front right side of primary it says List 9834-1.
    That's a 600 CFM, 4160 model carburetor.
    (Single accelerator pump & vacuum secondaries.)
    Read the 4th question down, as to when the secondaries open:
    http://www.holley.com/TechService/FA...tegory=General (FAQs)

Oh OK, now I know it's normal for it not to open in park. Thank you. Only other thing I'm still wondering is before the inline fuel filter used to have gas in it while running, and for awhile after for some reason, now it don't seem like I'm seeing any gas in there even while it's running. Just wondering cause I know, say if I go to the store and I'm in there for say 20 minutes, usually I can come back out turn the key and it starts right up no pumping of the throttle. But if there's no gas in that inline filter, will it still start right up after 20 minutes or is there something wrong with that? Thank you for your help so far, you been very helpful!!!

But if there's no gas in that inline filter, will it still start right up after 20 minutes or is there something wrong with that?
    The engine will still start because the carburetor always has fuel in the fuel bowls.
    Remember, fuel only flows when the needle & seat/float valve is open (in fuel bowl).

OK that makes sense. I've adjusted a few things. The air breather isn't made for a Holley, came with the car. Had to cut a little with the Dremel tool to make sure it don't touch the primary linkage. I think that's what happened. All your info was great. Now I know tons more than I did! I think I only have one more question, and that's after I messed with it here & there, through out the day and it warmed up, the idle seems a little low when I have it in gear, so how do I turn up the idle a little bit? Thanks again Danny!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast