Thread: Pro-Jection 2D ECU Retrofit

Default Pro-Jection 2D ECU Retrofit

I have been running a second generation Pro-Jection system for several years. My old ECU is the smooth case with the single 12 pin plug on it. Recently it went out. I have purchased a new 2D ECU that is suppose to be a retrofit for the older ECUs. However, after getting it, I see that it has 2 plugs on it. One 12 pin plug that matches what I have, and one 6 pin plug. What is this 6 pin plug? To get it to function as the old ECU, can I simply plug that new ECU in? Any information would be appreciated.

dblakey

I believe you will need the new-style harness.

Quote Originally Posted by dblakey View Post
    I have purchased a new 2D ECU that is suppose to be a retrofit for the older ECUs.
    Do you have the Holley part number for this ECU?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Part number for the new ECU is 534-55. Was told it is a direct replacement for the older style ECU (don't have the part number for the old one). Smooth case no fins. Second generation? Connector on the new ECU matches the connector on the old ECU, but the new one has an extra 6 pin connector. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

The 6-pin connector is for an oxygen sensor harness - Closed Loop Kit 534-54:
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...99R9975rev.pdf (Excerpt from page 12 below.)

Quote Originally Posted by Holley Pro-Jection 2D Manual
    8. Reconnect the primary wiring harness, previously disconnected, to the ECU.
    Plug the small, black connector on the oxygen sensor wiring harness into the 6 position connector on the rear of the ECU.

NOTE: The oxygen sensor should only be used AFTER the Pro-Jection 2D system has been properly tuned in an open loop mode (oxygen sensor is disconnected).
    Utilizing the oxygen sensor without first tuning the Pro-Jection 2D system in an open loop mode may result in engine fuel requirements that are outside the range of adjustment of the closed loop system.

NOTE: The digital ECU utilizes only three of the six positions in the small connector on the rear of the ECU.
    The other three positions are for FACTORY USE ONLY and no connections should be made to these 3 connector positions.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks,
    I have the old style closed loop kit installed. It's wired into the main harness and has a little "black box" with a led on it.

The way I am reading this, the new style ECU has this "black box" internal and all I
    need to do is plug the O2 sensor into the extra plug on the ECU with part #534-56?
    Am I missing something or is it this simple?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dblakey View Post
    The way I am reading this, the new style ECU has this "black box" internal and all I
    need to do is plug the O2 sensor into the extra plug on the ECU with part #534-56?
    Am I missing something or is it this simple?
    I started reading the manual and noticed the illustration on page 3.
    As we suspected, it pictures the O2 sensor connected directly to the ECU.
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...99R9975rev.pdf (Pro-Jection 2D manual)

After finding the original manual that came with the system back in the 90's found some other info that was useful that I had forgotten.

The old ECU had DIP switches inside the ECU to select between small block and big block fuel curves. The new ECU does not have this and relies on a external connection of the pink wire from either +12V or ground.

For the old ECU the pink wire that was connected to +12V during engine cranking. The new ECU uses this wire for the selection of small block or big block.

So, if a person is putting a new ECU on and old system, this is one thing that does not plug and play. The pink wire must be moved. Other than that, it works. Actually runs better. I would say this is from the 20 year analog box being swapped for a new digital box. It still is a old system, but as long as you look at it as a "externally adjustable carburetor" and not a multi-port factory setup, these things are great and will run upside down

Thanks for all your help.
    Last edited by dblakey; 04-30-2013 at 08:13 AM.