Thread: Problems with a Pro-Jection 4Di setup

4di guy Guest

Default Problems with a Pro-Jection 4Di setup

I bought a 4di system used and I've recently gotten it on the truck but I'm having a problem with it and I hope that someone here can give me some advice. The software is Holley EEV 3.1 Rev 3.22.

I haven't gotten it started yet. It's on a 70 Ford truck with a 390GT in it with a Pertronix 2 ignition to get rid of the points. I can connect to the 4di ECU using the Data Monitor feature and I can also retrieve the current map from the ECU (Base 8). It takes a second or two to retrieve it. However, the current map is set to use a GM ignition and I want to set it to none and save that selection. This is when I have problems.

I can make the change and save the map to my PC, but then I choose send map from the file menu and a new little window will pop up that says Sending Data to ECU. The little window has another little check box at the bottom that says OK. You can't click it when the window first pops up. I assume that after the map is sent to the ECU that box light up and it can be selected. My PC seems to just get stuck here. The odd time the OK box will light up so I can click it but then the PC gets stuck then and the little window never goes away. I have to shut down the program and start over. I can retrieve the map again at this stage but it's just the Base 8 map set to use GM ignition again.

When I crank the engine over I can see it isn’t recognizing the tach signal in the Data Monitor area as the RPM just stay at zero. I've tried it on the yellow wire and the yellow w/ black trace wire.

I am using a USB to serial adapter and I use this exact same one to connect to the ECU in my Eagle Talon since it has been modified to be used with a program called ECMLink. I don't think the adapter is the problem.

So I know it's connecting to the ECU, it just seems it won't take a new map.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've been working on it for 3 days now and I'm getting a little frustrated. Any replies will be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried this with a different laptop/computer?
    Sometimes it's the computer's fault: http://www.holley.com/forums/showthr...aving-thoughts
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

4di guy Guest

I haven't yet, but I was planning to give that a shot. In the thread you linked you also mentioned the voltage which is something else that had crossed my mind. I think I had better charge the battery up as well. Thanks for the reply. I'll post back if I have any luck.