Thread: Hooker Header Faults

BLKPNY Guest

Angry Hooker Header Faults

I bought a set of 6111 Headers, with the ceramic coating.
    I had them shipped to me in Australia. The box arrived in mint condition, as did a Magna Flow exhaust kit.
    Upon opening the box, I found a couple decent size dents in the headers, a couple of deep scratches in the coating, where it looks like they've been dragged around the workshop, and a lot of scuffs, from perhaps poor packaging in the box.
    People buy the coated headers because they look good, and work better, so you'd expect better care of the coating.

Most worrying of all though, was a couple welds on the flange plate that were not completed, in between the pipe and the plate, and because they are coated, we can't get them welded up properly, as we cant get in there to grind the coating off.

So we have a set of header with incomplete welds, dents and damaged coating, all before they were boxed.
    I have recieved a partial refund from the supplier, but it is still less than the cost of getting them stripped and fixed, and then another $300 to re-coat them.

What can I do?

Quote Originally Posted by BLKPNY View Post
    What can I do?
    Aside from contacting Hooker (contact page), you could weld the engine side of the flange/pipe and grind it flat again.
    Some people have claimed good results with ultra high temp RTV on the mating flange (even without a gasket).
    Personally, I prefer a excellent quality header gasket, such as Remflex: http://catalog.remflex.com/
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 12-19-2010 at 08:31 AM.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

BLKPNY Guest

Thanks for the reply. We looked at welding them, but we are told the weld won't stick to the coating, and as we can't get to the area to remove the coating...

BTW, nice Bronco! I have a '79 F150 Stepside, being built to run 44s with a supercharged 400M.