Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wiring an Electric Cooling Fan - Holley EFI

I certainly don't have any inside knowledge about either the Holley or the Corvette module, but I do know how PWM works in general. I really believe that if you are turning the voltage to the fan on & off at such a high rate that you will burn eventually out the motor, and thus the need for the module to generate a scaled voltage. I wish I had one of the Module here to test myself to confirm it.

I was seriously considering changing my currently 2-relay setup for my dual fans to use the Corvette module. However, I ran into a roadblock on how to setup the HP EFI for the fans to be on when my A/C is running. It's not clear to me in the PWM Configuration panels how to take an on/off input like my A/C Kick signal and feed that into the PWM Duty Cycle table. I can enable the output with the Kick signal, but that's not right because it would disable the fans if the A/C isn't enabled.

I believe I need an input that is a scaled version of the A/C lines pressure, which is how I think the Corvette ECU handles things, but that's a whole other investigation into how to add a sensor for that and then get the Holley to read/scale it correctly. I may experiment with this later on, but for now I'm going to live with my loud fans.

Hey Bryan, I just made all this work with the Dominator. I don't know enough about the HP, but it works like a charm:

FYI: If anyone is looking for information regarding the connector for the C6 fan controller, here it is:
    http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...dule-Connector. Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
    Hey Bryan, I just made all this work with the Dominator.
    Andrew, thanks for the great video on this. It's very helpful.
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ic-Cooling-Fan (Additional Information)

I don't know enough about the HP, but it works like a charm:
    Yes, this works the same with the HP ECU as well.
    http://documents.holley.com/techlibr...useanddiff.pdf (Holley HP & Dominator ECU Differences)
    http://documents.holley.com/199r10516.pdf (Holley 558-400 I/O Auxiliary Harness Instructions)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Andrew, thanks for the great video on this. It's very helpful.
    Danny, feel free to pass that video around. Andrew

I purchased the Holley 534-134 cooling fan relay kit. I wired it per the instructions. I wired the green/white wire up to I/O Auxiliary Harness 558-400 gray/yellow wire. When l turn the key on, it's blowing the inline fuse on the relay kit. Any help would be much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by 71_bowtie View Post
    I purchased the Holley 534-134 cooling fan relay kit. I wired it per the instructions.
    You can't exactly follow those instructions (Link); they're from the Commander 950 EFI system.

I wired the green/white wire up to I/O Auxiliary Harness 558-400 gray/yellow wire.
    The Holley 534-134 Cooling Fan Relay Kit is wired for a Ground signal to energize the relay's coil terminal #85. The Holley 558-400 I/O Auxiliary Harness B12 gray/yellow (Output #1) wire is a +12V Output. So you'll need to permanently ground relay terminal #85, and cut the jumper wire from terminal #86 (to #87), and connect it to the gray/yellow Output #1 wire. Leave the fused +12V battery power wire connected to relay terminal #87.

If you'd like to wire the Cooling Fan Relay Kit as is, just use the B3 gray/green Output #4 or B10 gray/black Output#3 Ground signal.

When l turn the key on, it's blowing the inline fuse on the relay kit.
    You have something wired wrong (short circuit), or your fan draws more amperage than the fuse is rated for.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/X-pipe/shorty headers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny! I got it to work. My fan has an amp draw of 11 amps. When the fan turns on, it's popping the 15 amp fuse, but not a 30 amp fuse. Obviously, electrical isn't my forte. Will there be any issue with running the 30 amp fuse?

Will there be any issue with running the 30 amp fuse?
    No, that will be fine.

Thanks Danny! I got it to work. My fan has an amp draw of 11 amps. When the fan turns on, it's popping the 15 amp fuse, but not a 30 amp fuse. Obviously, electrical isn't my forte. Will there be any issue with running the 30 amp fuse?
    When the fan kicks on, there's a spike in current, in your case, more than 15 amps. That's another advantage of running fans with PWM, there's no current spike at startup. Andrew

This thread should be a sticky. A lot of guys are confused on how to use PWM for fan control, and Andrew did an excellent job with the video. Tom

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast