Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Wiring an Electric Cooling Fan - Holley EFI

The C6 fan draws about 32 amps. I've seen people use Spal fans with the C6 controller. If the fan stalls, then presumably the controller burns out. If that doesn't happen, the fuse in the power circuit to the controller will pop. Him saying to ask Holley sounds like passing the buck. The PWM− output is not experiencing any draw. The load is handled by the controller. Somewhere in another thread a guy in Australia did some testing and as I recall, the C6 fan controller actually boosts frequency on the output side.

What happens when a C6 fan stalls in a Corvette? I wouldn't hesitate using it with a Spal fan. There is nothing magically special about them. Although, some of the new ones already have the controller built into them and they are brushless. Like the 2016 Camaro fan for instance.

BTW, I saw that Gates is now selling the controller and a wiring harness for $189. I looked up a 2008 Ford Fusion. Andrew
    Last edited by andrewb70; 07-10-2018 at 05:17 PM.

This is my second season using a PWM controller with no issues. I run two Spal fans off one controller. I used 128 for the frequency like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=7C-Y0VsD6pY

My relay diagram works great by the way. No problems since install. It may look a bit complicated, but it's pretty simple once you get started, and there are no expensive controllers to worry about. ��

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    This is my second season using a PWM controller with no issues. I run two Spal fans off one controller. I used 128 for the frequency like in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=7C-Y0VsD6pY
    That's my video. Like and subscribe :-) Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by Mikeg View Post
    My relay diagram works great by the way. No problems since install. It may look a bit complicated, but it's pretty simple once you get started, and there are no expensive controllers to worry about. ��
    The controller is about $120, how much are quality relays? Believe me, once you have virtually silent cooling fans, you will never want ON/OFF fans ever again. Andrew

Relays were less than $10 a piece. I probably will do what you're doing eventually once I decide to upgrade. Let us know how it works out for you.

I went to the local Pick & Save Auto Wreckers and got two of them with the wiring harness from a Ford Fusion. I paid $20 for both.

Thanks for the responses to my question. I'll use the 128 frequency as 81 TransAm has.

Quote Originally Posted by jeff@califon View Post
    It was interesting his mention of this thread being full of misinformation.
    LOL! That's the default response from someone who can't provide a definitive answer.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Actually, he had some good points. A lot of the new 2018 high end autos ($100,000 plus) have been coming into one of my buddies shops. Do to the fact it's a very laid back place. I've been spending about 2 to 3 hours studying all of the electronics, placement of the electronics, and how their connected.
    These are just some basic observations. Some not related to cooling.
    1. 300 AMP fuse on the starting circuit.
    2. 150 AMP fuse on the charging circuit.
    3. The "cabin" fuse is generally 100 AMP.
    4. The "under hood" fuse is generally 120 AMPs. This is generally for EFI & ABS.
    5. Cooling fans are generally 40 AMPs each. There is generally two of these.
    6. Minimum of 3 cooling fans. But I've seen up to 5.
    7. Anything with liquid, gets a cooling radiator.
    8. 8 to 4 AWG is ran to the main cooling fan.
    9. The main cooling fan(s) have massively large aluminum heat sinks. Largest was around 10" in diameter, and about 2.5" thick.
    10. Most electronic components have a wall, isolating them from the exhaust of the coolers/fans.

The misinformation that he mentions. Is most likely related to #9 above. The electric fans use the incoming air to help keep their motors cool. By PWM a "plastic" covered fan. Vs using one designed with a heat sink. You might trip whatever protection device the unit has built into it. Most of the time it's a resettable, metal contact breaker in the fans motor. These devices are only designed to trip a couple of times (they get covered in a black "electrical insulating" residue) before you have to replace the motor.

My main point is. Use recommended parts together as a "set". Don't mismatch parts. Like using a GM controller on Ford fans. They weren't designed as a set. Yes. You can get them to work. But your not going to get a manufacturing representative to recommended some thing their not 100% sure about. Or recommend some thing they know is wrong. Remember there are a lot of variables in "actually" installing aftermarket products. So you should listen to what he has to say. I understood his point.

Yes, he stated some good points, but he never answered the specific (frequency) question.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires