Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: General IAC Info & Ford PWM IAC Wiring

Finally getting down to the nitty gritty things and making the settings in the ECU. Given that the IAC motor I'm using is from a Ford 5.0L. I chose it, I read through what has been recommended and made the adjustments as directed. Here are screen shots of what I've done. Do these appear to be set correctly?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IAC Settings 1 IMG_3009.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	94.5 KB 
ID:	3437

Name:	IAC Settings 2 IMG_3010.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	3438

Name:	IAC Settings 3 IMG_3011.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	89.8 KB 
ID:	3436
    Last edited by jeff@califon; 07-22-2018 at 01:56 PM.

Hello, I got a question about the GM IAC and I figure that this might be a good topic to post. Recently I decided to try a Wilson 1500 CFM 4150 throttle body on my 500 cid big block Mopar in the jet boat, to replace the 1000 cfm Mass-Flo (Ford IAC) that it had. I was advised to try a bigger throttle body after the Holley HP datalogged a 3 kPa pressure drop at WOT. To make a long story short, the Wilson and its GM IAC would not recover the idle after the engine decelerates. I have tried the various suggested IAC & idle control/ramp settings to no avail. After futilely messing with it and tying up a boat ramp all afternoon, I swapped back to the Mass Flo throttle body with it's Ford IAC and the engine is happy again, with the IAC quickly catching the engine at 1500 RPM, with a 3 second ramp down to 900 RPM. (Ford IAC settings: 55% Hold, Ramp above idle at 600, 400 for re-enabling idle control, with 3 second decay time.) What I suspect is with the engine driving a rather large jet drive, which continuously applies a load to the engine at any RPM, so the engine will decelerate from WOT at 4700 RPM to a 900 RPM idle in less than a second. I have read that the GM will not function as quickly as the Ford IAC, taking up to 2 seconds to fully operate. I tried to set the GM IAC Hold Position as high as 90% with the idling IAC Position reading 0-2%, but it still died on deceleration.

My questions are, is this a common problem with using a GM IAC in such an application? Is there a GM-style IAC available that operates as fast as the Ford IAC? I suspect that the GM-style IAC and bypass port size is inadequate for idle recovery on a 500 cid engine turning a large jet drive. I'm in contact with Wilson to see if their 1500 CFM throttle body can be adapted for use with a Ford IAC.

The engine is 500 cid, Indy 440EZ MW ported heads, Indy MW single-plane EFI intake with 60 lb/hr injectors with cam sync. Cam: 237°/241° @ .050 110° LSA. Idles at 57 kPa with 10 lbs of fuel, with AFR of 13.0 for smoothest idle quality at 23° of timing.