Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • S2H
    • Nov 2013

Yes, on a Ford, the IAC gets constant +12V (ignition key on) power, and the Ground is controlled by the ECU using a PWM− signal at 300 Hz.
    The Holley can control it by PWM+ with a Ground tied to the engine block, or it can get a +12V power source and control it with a PWM− signal.

In my personal experience, the Ford IAC, because of how it operates, will be more stable & perform better, if you supply it with a constant +12V
    signal and a PWM− from the Holley ECU. I do not know why it works better, I just know we have tried it both ways, and it has always worked
    better using a PWM− signal to control it. Also, in my personal experience, if you can use a GM IAC, it always works better than the Ford IAC.
    Last edited by S2H; 11-10-2014, 10:05 PM.
    -Scott
    Don't forget to check out progress on my Race Car:
    Project Blasphemy - 8.07 @ 171
    Low 8 Second Street Car

Comment

• jeff@califon
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by S2H View Post
      In my personal experience, the Ford IAC, because of how it operates, will be more stable and perform better, if you supply it with a constant +12V signal and a PWM- from the Holley ECU. I do not know why it works better, I just know we have tried it both ways, and it has always worked better using a PWM- signal to control it.
      Thanks, I will connect it as you suggested. I discovered which terminal was which by using the diagram, and verified that using a 9 volt battery.

Comment

• one5oh2nv
        • May 2014

Resurrecting this one. I'm going to use the Ford IAC PWM−, and was wondering if I can re-purpose the pins/open slots from the original IAC wiring, in the ECU, to make a different I/O.

Comment

• Danny Cabral
          Administrator
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by one5oh2nv View Post
          I'm going to use the Ford IAC PWM−, and was wondering if I can re-purpose the pins/open slots from the original IAC wiring, in the ECU, to make a different I/O.
          Yes, you can relocate one of the existing four wires (stepper IAC motor) to an available custom I/O position.
          Installing, removing & relocating (pinning) the ECU connector terminals is easy. No special tools involved.
          Push the single wide white tab to release the lock (on all terminals), and push the two narrow white tabs to re-secure.
          http://forums.holley.com/showthread....neral-IAC-Info (IAC Information)
          May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
          '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, Eagle 3.470" forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, Wiseco 4.200" forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA H/R camshaft, Trick Flow R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes SS dual 2.5" exhaust, SS off-road X-pipe, SS shorty headers, OEM smog pump converted vacuum pump, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, highly modified Ford 4R70W transmission, FTI 9.5"/3000 stall/triple disc TCC, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.73 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

• Just Chuck
            • May 2015

FYI: If you are looking for the connector for '87-'93 Mustang IAC, here's an alternate source:
            http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1517&ppt=C0189 (BWD - Electrical Connector PT317)

Comment

• jeff@califon
              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by S2H View Post
              Yes, on a Ford, the IAC gets constant +12V (ignition key on) power, and the Ground is controlled by the ECU using a PWM− signal at 300 Hz.

The Holley can control it by PWM+ with a Ground tied to the engine block,
              or it can get a +12V power source and control it with a PWM− signal.

In my personal experience, the Ford IAC, because of how it operates, will be more stable and perform better, if you supply it with a constant +12V signal and a PWM− from the Holley ECU. I do not know why it works better, I just know we have tried it both ways, and it has always worked better using a PWM− signal to control it.

Also, in my personal experience, if you can use a GM IAC, it always works better than the Ford IAC.
              Finally getting to this point. The AAW Classic Update harness install took longer then I expected. I would appreciate some clarification. Does the +12V source need be provided by the Holley ECU or can I use a switched source from anywhere else? The AAW harness has a circuit that is switched, and remains on even while the starter is engaged, is it suitable?

Comment

• Danny Cabral
                Administrator
                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by jeff@califon View Post
                Does the +12V source need be provided by the Holley ECU...
                No, just the PWM− signal to control it.

...or can I use a switched source from anywhere else?
                Yes.

The AAW harness has a circuit that is switched, and remains on even while the starter is engaged, is it suitable?
                Yes.
                '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, Eagle 3.470" forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, Wiseco 4.200" forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA H/R camshaft, Trick Flow R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes SS dual 2.5" exhaust, SS off-road X-pipe, SS shorty headers, OEM smog pump converted vacuum pump, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, highly modified Ford 4R70W transmission, FTI 9.5"/3000 stall/triple disc TCC, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.73 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

• jeff@califon
                  • Sep 2014

Thank you very much Danny.

Comment

• ultraspeed
                    • Sep 2013

Does the Ford PWM− from ECU need to be used with relay? Or just the positive side? Any idea what the amp draw is on the negative side?

Comment

• Danny Cabral
                      Administrator
                      • Dec 2009

There's no relay involved with an IAC motor installation.

Comment

• ThePunisher2
                        • May 2016

I have the Modular Mustang HP EFI harness. They have PIN B1, B2, B8 & B9 on the J1B harness plugged with white plugs as those are the IAC outputs for a GM. I've switched to a GM IAC Actuator. I need to wire into the J1B plug to those 4 pins, and run 4 wires to the GM IAC actuator. How do I wire them into that J1B plug? What parts do I need? I've seen you talk about Metri-Pack, looked like that was for the IAC connector and not the J1B. Thanks.
                        2000 Mustang GT 618whp/612ftlb View Dyno Pull
                        Holley EFI HP, Teksid Block, Forged Internals, Ported/Polished Heads with Oversized Valves, 78mm On3 Turbo kit, FMIC, On3 Triplehat with 3 320lph pumps, Holley Co2 powered boost control setup

Comment

• Danny Cabral
                          Administrator
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by ThePunisher2 View Post
                          They have PIN B1, B2, B8 & B9 on the J1B harness plugged with white plugs as those are the IAC outputs for a GM.
                          Yes, remove those four white plugs.
                          Since you decided to use a 4-wire stepper type IAC motor, you'll have to install the four IAC wires to the P1B ECU connector.
                          http://forums.holley.com/showthread....neral-IAC-Info (Scroll down to "IAC Motor Harness Connector PIN-OUTS".)

I need to wire into the J1B plug to those 4 pins, and run 4 wires to the GM IAC actuator. How do I wire them into that J1B plug? What parts do I need?
                          http://forums.holley.com/showthread....als-Holley-EFI (ECU Connectors & Terminals)

I've seen you talk about Metri-Pack, looked like that was for the IAC connector and not the J1B. Thanks.
                          Correct, that's for the IAC motor itself, not the ECU connector.

Comment

• ThePunisher2
                            • May 2016

GM IAC Wiring on a 2000 Mustang with the Modular Mustang Holley EFI Harness:
                            I bought a GM Flat 4-wire IAC Pigtail, a 22 AWG 4 conductor wire, and 4 TE 3-1447221-4 pins to put in the J1B ECU connector.

GM IAC Pigtail:
                            A: Purple/White "B LO" > White wire of 4 conductor > Pin B8 J1B.
                            B: Purple/Black "B HI" > Red wire of 4 conductor > Pin B9 J1B.
                            C: Purple/Blue "A LO" > Green wire of 4 conductor > Pin B1 J1B.
                            D: Purple/Yellow "A HI" > Black wire of 4 conductor > Pin B2 J1B.

The GM IAC Pigtail has the letters A, B, C, D on it if you look real close.
                            The J1B connector also has the numbers on it if you look real close, makes it easy to know what white plugs you need to pull out with pliers to put in the new pins.

I stripped the wires back enough for the top clamp on the pin to be able to crimp down on it with pliers, and the lower clamp to clamp down on the actual plastic of the wire. I then soldered above and below the top clamp.

Then unplug the J1B and press the long white rectangle to release it so you can shove the pins up in it.
                            It's hard to do with 22 AWG wire. I seen some guys running thicker wire, which would probably help push them in. I had to get a small pick and press on the pin and push it real hard until you hear it click. I also verified by shining a light up on the pins, and making sure they were even with the other ones. Either way, when you press the 2 white plastic things on the J1B plug to secure the wires, they won't go in if you don't have them seated properly.
                            2000 Mustang GT 618whp/612ftlb View Dyno Pull
                            Holley EFI HP, Teksid Block, Forged Internals, Ported/Polished Heads with Oversized Valves, 78mm On3 Turbo kit, FMIC, On3 Triplehat with 3 320lph pumps, Holley Co2 powered boost control setup

Comment

• procharged67
                              • Jan 2016

Typical IAC Control/Ramp Down parameter settings.
                              Advanced Idle Control: ......................... Slow (Usually the best control.)
                              IAC Type: ........................................... Stepper (4-wire), PWM (2-wire)
                              IAC Hold Position: ................................ 10%-30%
                              Ramp Decay Time: ............................... 1.0-3.0 sec
                              RPM Above Idle To Start Ramp: .............. 1000 RPM (Or higher.)
                              RPM Above Idle To Re-enable Idle Control: 50-200 RPM (This setting can be finicky.)
                              Going to try this on my car to try & clean up the idle problems I have, instead of the custom setting. I'll try the Slow setting. I notice the box that shows PID is gone.

Comment

• Rage
                                • Jun 2016

RE: Parameters - Idle Spark
                                Description: Idle spark control will modulate the ignition timing at idle to assist with maintaining the target idle speed.

When the RPM at 0% TPS is above or below the Target Idle Speed specified per coolant temperature, how much IAC Idle Spark control spark advance/retard modulation does the Holley have available to use to control idle? I.E. override the Base Timing Table?

Comment

Working...
                                X