Thread: old 3 barrel / Buick freak......

DocModisett Guest

Default old 3 barrel / Buick freak......

Yep , the lead in says it all..... I am 68 years old,,,, not ''68 years young'' as the pc folks like to say,,,,, Mostly I love nailhead buicks and holley 3 barrel carbs, heck, any holley carb.... I have a 64 Buick Riv. that I show,,,, a 65 Skylark Gran Sport that I am building [forever].... and 3 of the holley 3 barrel carbs, a 950cfm and 2 of the 1050 cfm s.... the Riv has a 425 nailhead and the GS has a 410 cu. in. super wildcat engine that has a 1050 cfm 3 barrel instead of the 2x4's the factory put on the supercat engine.... and naturally the air cleaners are ''redneck ram airs''.....

macx Guest

Howdy! Newbie here, too, altho also not in years. You got 4 yrs on me is all.

Anyway, most folks raise their eyebrows when someone mentions a 3 bbl Holley.
    I had one of the 950 units I put on a 67 Camaro SS 375 hp 396 along with an open plenum
    L-88 intake.

I was still fairly new to hot rods at the time so didn't know a lot about esp Holley carbs -
    but a friend helped me set it up and boy did that 3bbl & L88 intake ever wake that 396 up
    over about 3500 or 4000 rpm! Rev'd like a strong small block.

And below those rpms I couldn't tell any driveability difference from the stock 780 (if I recall)

As far as Buicks go, one day I tanged with an old guy in a Riveria GS with the 2x4 motor.
    That thing was a beast off the line up to around 50 or so (this was in Minneapolis on a
    45 mph one way street). I had to row that Camaro pretty vigorously to catch him after
    he blew me away at the stoplite, even with my 3.73's and 10" tires! Boy talk about
    a S eating grin on that oldster's face!
    Last edited by macx; 01-04-2011 at 09:48 AM.

DocModisett Guest

Yep, I know what you mean,,,, i had a 64 skylark with a 401, 3 bbl. cold air pkg, 4.11 gears and a switch pitch th400 trans....
    the car had no fancy wheels, no fancy paint, just wider tires and a raked stance.... raced a bunch of 396/427 chevys, 440 chrysler cars, 428 cobra jet Fords.... the only things that beat it was a 440 6pk Dodge challenger and a 57 chevy that some kid home from the military had.....