Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holley Commander 950 TBI to MPFI question.

maik21 Guest

Default Holley Commander 950 TBI to MPFI question.

Hello. I'm Maik and I'm using Commander 950 on my Nissan with Ford 5.0 swap.

Car runs fine and I want to know if there a way to use this computer and convert to MPFI.

I read in one forum that there is a set of wires to go from TBI to MPFI keeping same ECU.

I search through wiring schematic but I don't know how to wire the 4 TBI injectors to 8 MPFI injector.

Thank you for your help. And please, sorry for my poor English. I'm good at reading, but not at writing.

I've done this exact conversion.
    The ECU is the same; the software just needs to be correctly configured (Engine Parameters)
    and the Fuel Map retuned. You can purchase the MPFI injector harness here:
    http://www.holley.com/534-131.asp
    or http://www.holley.com/534-130.asp

My MPFI conversion, with pictures & links: http://www.network54.com/Forum/85220...old+Conversion
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 12-08-2010 at 05:30 AM.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

maik21 Guest

Do you know how they are wired?

I saw the link for harness, but I want to fit my 8 injectors (high impedance) from '96 Explorer (intake too) and use Holley Commander.

It's all I have right now.

And what about the right order to put injectors (something like firing order)?

And thank you a lot. All your info was helping me a lot with tuning (your other threads).

Here is a video of my engine running the Holley commander 950 with 85 lb/hr injectors:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_egLzUX1Ap0
    Last edited by maik21; 01-22-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Tom K Guest

The MPI harness will plug directly into your existing 5 pin connector on the main harness.
    The Commander 950 uses a bank-to-bank injector strategy, and as such, specific injector connections are not required.
    If you run low impedance injectors, you will need the 534-195 auxiliary injector driver.
    Thanks, Tom

Quote Originally Posted by maik21 View Post
    Do you know how they are wired?
    Look in Appendix 10 - Wiring Diagrams of the C950 manual:
    http://www.holley.com/data/TechServi...l/R10149-7.pdf

...and what about the right order to put injectors (something like firing order)?
    The C950 ECU is bank-to-bank injection, not sequential like the Ford 5.0L.

Batch fired EFI (bank-to-bank) sprays 4 injectors on one bank, then 180 crankshaft degrees later, the other 4 spray on the opposite bank. The C950 ECU has 4 drivers and each one pulses the ground on 2 injectors (drivers A & C fire together and B & D fire together). On the C950 MPI harness, the injector connectors with the same color ground wires are pulsed together.

If you want to minimize the 'fuel pressure drop' at the fuel rails/injectors, you can wire the harness to 'batch fire' a pair of injectors on each bank. This is an improved strategy for batch fired (bank-to-bank) EFI so each bank doesn't fire at the same time, which can possibly disrupt the 'fuel pressure stability/distribution' (especially with large injectors and a single fuel feed line).
    In other words, wire the injector harness like this (Chevy):

A - #1 & #3
    C - #6 & #8
    B - #2 & #4
    D - #5 & #7

http://www.boxwrench.net/specs/chevy_bb.htm
    http://www.chevytalk.org/fusionbb/sh...hp?tid/188178/
    Last edited by Danny Cabral; 01-22-2011 at 09:31 PM.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

maik21 Guest

Thank you very much. I save all info on my HDD. This is what I was looking for! Thank you again.

You're welcome. Keep in mind, the wiring example above is for a Chevy engine. (Ford 5.0L below.)
    It's bank-to-bank MPFI with four injector drivers that fire A & C together and B & D together.
    In other words, wire the injector harness like this (Ford):

A - #1 & #2
    C - #7 & #8
    B - #5 & #6
    D - #3 & #4

maik21 Guest

Hello Danny, its a long time since I open this thread but now I switch from TBI to MPFI using same ECU.
    Now I have this question. This is the schematic:

You told me wire like this (using ECU pin-out I think):
    A - #1 & #2
    C - #7 & #8
    B - #5 & #6
    D - #3 & #4

But I make mistake and use injector connector (instead of ECU pin-out) it has A, B, C, D & E and wire like this:
    B = 12V from relay,
    A = 1 & 2
    C = 5 & 6
    D = 7 & 8
    E = 3 & 4

Engine runs OK but I'm worried about wiring in the wrong order because I'm running a turbo setup.
    What do you think? Thank you very much for your patience and great help.

Quote Originally Posted by maik21 View Post
    But I make mistake and use injector connector (instead of ECU pin-out) it has A, B, C, D & E and wire like this:
    B = 12V from relay,
    A = 1 & 2
    C = 5 & 6
    D = 7 & 8
    E = 3 & 4
    I'm not sure if you're referring to the 'injector driver letter designations' or the round 5-pin harness 'injector connector cavity letter designations'; don't confuse the two, because they don't correspond to each other. The red wire supplies keyed +12V to all the injectors and the ECU pulses the injector grounds (ECU injector drivers A, B, C, D - not wire connector cavities).

maik21 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    I'm not sure if you're referring to the 'injector driver letter designations' or the round 5-pin harness 'injector connector cavity letter designations'; don't confuse the two, because they don't correspond to each other. The red wire supplies keyed +12V to all the injectors and the ECU pulses the injector grounds (ECU injector drivers A, B, C, D - not wire connector cavities).
    I wire the round 5-pin harness like this:
    B = 12V from relay,
    A = 1 & 2
    C = 5 & 6
    D = 7 & 8
    E = 3 & 4

A big mistake. I will rewire using ECU injector drivers. Thank you again Danny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast