Thread: Problem with Hooker #5215-1HKR

67Dart440 Guest

Default Problem with Hooker #5215-1HKR

Greetings...

I purchased a 1967 Dodge Dart with a 440 last Spring 09 which was used as a trailered race car. My intent was to use the car as a street car so first thing I did was have some DOT tires and exhaust installed on the car. When I purchased the car it had an old set of 5215 headers on the car that unfortunately were in very bad shape and had some rust holes in the tubes. When I took it to the exhaust shop they informed me of this and I purchased a new set of 5215's from them which they installed. I later discovered that they had ground the head studs to get the headers on, claiming there was insufficient clearance. The old headers fit with all studs in tack and no modification of the header flanges that I could see. (I have pictures of them as well)

This summer I started a major overhaul of the car and I am just now getting the motor put back together and recently replaced the head gaskets and head studs with brand new ARP studs. I then decided I would test fit the headers to see if I had an clearance issues. While it is a tight fit the passenger side header goes on with a minimal amount of clearance (the ARP studs are a little longer than what was on it originally), but it fits. The driver side however will not line up with all of the bolt holes in the head. I can get either the front or back bolt in, and then the flange hits the nuts and the other holes will not line up.

It appeared looking at both headers that the bolt holes were offset from center, top to bottom. The passenger side holes are offset toward the bottom of the flange while the driver side is just the opposite. So first thing I tried was flipping the driver side header upside down and in doing so discovered it will bolt up and fits just like the passenger side. I suspect that the drivers side flange was welded on upside down?

Next thing I did was clamp the two headers together, flange to flange to check the alignment and I took some pictures.

Unfortunately, the shop I purchased these from did not catch this and thought, even though another set of the same headers fit, that there was an issue with the studs and they ground them as well as the nuts so the header would fit. Though they are over a year old, the car has only been driven about 10 times and the headers are still in very good condition.

Any suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated...

This is when I first got it, with the original headers

This is after I got it back from the exhaust shop

You can see where they ground the studs off as well as part of the nut

Only four images per post... more to follow.
    Last edited by 67Dart440; 12-02-2010 at 06:58 PM.

67Dart440 Guest

These are some pictures I just took after installing the new head gaskets and studs

This is the passenger side... the flange clears all of the nuts

This is the drivers side... the flange is lower and hits the nuts preventing all holes from aligning

I clamped the headers together... flange to flange

You can see they are aligned

One more post with pics to follow

67Dart440 Guest

The opposite side... also aligned

And pics showing how far off the flange holes are from one side to the other

I suspect these bolt holes in the flanges should be in the same location on every flange??

Please advise... thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by 67Dart440 View Post
    I suspect these bolt holes in the flanges should be in the same location on every flange?? Please advise... thanks!
    The bolt holes should be in the same location as the exhaust manifold gaskets.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

67Dart440 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    The bolt holes should be in the same location as the exhaust manifold gaskets.
    The gaskets are the same for either side... tube holes and bolt holes all line up... they can be installed on either side, no right or left. Therefore, based on what you said... the bolt holes on the flanges should also be in the same position on both sides or even from one set of 5215's to the next.... correct?

Therefore, based on what you said... the bolt holes on the flanges should also be in the same position on both sides or even from one set of 5215's to the next.... correct?
    Yes, I agree.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

67Dart440 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, I agree.
    Does anyone from Hooker/Holley respond to the forums? I was looking for an email address so I could send pictures but could not find one, and the contact page on the site does not allow for attachments. The pictures are worth a thousand words in this case I think.

Does anyone from Hooker/Holley respond to the forums? I was looking for an email address so I could send pictures but could not find one, and the contact page on the site does not allow for attachments. The pictures are worth a thousand words in this case I think.
    You can still call their number (contact page) and refer them to this forum thread.

It does look like the flange was drilled incorrect. Did you exchanged them for another set?

As for the studs Hooker has never tested fitted the headers for aftermarket head bolts or studs. So yes you may have to clearance the flange for aftermarket head bolts or stud.

67Dart440 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
    It does look like the flange was drilled incorrect. Did you exchanged them for another set?

As for the studs Hooker has never tested fitted the headers for aftermarket head bolts or studs. So yes you may have to clearance the flange for aftermarket head bolts or stud.
    I spoke with Sean Miles and he informed me they could/would not be able to provide any assistance and that this was "within tolerances". The headers, though nearly new, were no longer under warranty and I did not discover this until over a year after purchasing unfortunately. Sounds like even if they had been under warranty they still would not have replaced. I will be grinding the flanges as needed to get them to fit.