Thread: Help me ID this Pro-Jection throttle body

jeepfreek Guest

Default Help me ID this Pro-Jection throttle body

I have had this thing for a few years and have never had the chance to use it because I can't seem to figure out which kit it came from?
    I know that it has "180" stamped on the butterflies and that the injectors are "51AA". Other than that I can only say that after 2 or maybe 3 changing of the hands the story seems to be that the original owner had to buy a new "kit" to replace a bad computer because of the cost being the same. I was also told that the guy was a big block Mopar fan but nobody can remember what it was to be used on? If anybody can help me out with this I would be very grateful. If it can be identified, then I can get parts to complete the kit!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG00056-20101130-1841.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	19.3 KB 
ID:	114

Name:	IMG00055-20101130-1841.jpg 
Views:	380 
Size:	18.9 KB 
ID:	115

Name:	IMG00057-20101130-1842.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	17.3 KB 
ID:	116

That's a 900 CFM four barrel TBI unit (1¾" bores & four 85 lb/hr injectors).
    It's a very early Pro-Jection unit with the old style TPS sensor, old
    style injectors and without an IAC valve (use a remote IAC valve).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

jeepfreek Guest

Awesome news! Now if you could answer a few more? What kit is it from? What engine is it sized for? What's it worth? Can I still get the parts I need to finish of the kit or can I use any parts from an OEM system to help keep the cost down?

It's from an antiquated Pro-Jection TBI system. It can be used on small & big block engines in the 400-550 horsepower range (fuel pressure was set to 18 psi on those old style injectors). I don't know the part number, however, if you have the TPS sensor connector, you can splice it on a Commander 950 harness and use it with a remote IAC valve from Electromotive Inc, FAST EFI, Accel DFI, etc. The Remote IAC kit usually attaches the vacuum hose to the plenum of the intake manifold. It looks like this:

http://prestoliteperformance.com/hi-...emote-iac.html (Accel)

http://www.fuelairspark.com/fas/remo...-w-filterhtml/ (FAST)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: Dominator MPFI & DIS, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

jeepfreek Guest

Thanks for all your help on this thing! I think its a little more than I need for anything I own right now but your info should help me try to sell it. Unless you know if it can used in a marine application? My boat has a 454 thats rated at 330hp?

I agree, those injectors are too big for 330 horsepower. The pulse-width at idle would be too low to idle well.
    That TBI unit would be ideal for a dual TBI application, since one of the throttle bodies requires the removal of the IAC motor, TPS sensor & fuel pressure regulator (and injector pod if it's a MPFI application). Inform the potential buyer it's a 1:1 ratio throttle linkage; not a progressive throttle linkage (unless it was converted).