Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Does Holley model 2300 1-684 have a C.A.R.B. E.O. number?

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    I'm not sure if it's the transmission or if the carb just needs more adjustment.
    If the AOD transmission isn't shifting correctly, it could very well be the T.V. rod/cable adjustment.
    If it was a C6 transmission, a maladjusted kickdown rod would only cause improper downshifts.
    (The C6 transmission uses a vacuum operated modulator valve to shift according to engine load.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

I found a new place to take the car to. This place specializes in carburetors, and they also work on transmissions.

Got the car back. I took it here: Edited

They took the funky bracket off and just adjusted the TV rod to reach the carb and reinstalled the pivot. I'll post up a pic later.
    Also, they adjusted the timing to 14° BTDC. They also adjusted the carburetor and checked emissions. Idle CO 0%, HC 15 PPM, Cruise CO 0%, HC 25 PPM.

Car was stalling like crap at first. But then once it was warmed up, I was able to get it the 6 miles to work.
    Still seems a bit underpowered when I first get going, compared to the VV, and the shifting isn't quite right still. Might take it to a transmission shop next.
    Last edited by 88LTDCV351; 10-10-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Default Holley 1-684 Install

It sat for quite some time with the first mechanic, and it died a few times as well. I'll try replacing the plugs, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor, get an oil change, etc. Maybe that would help with the car stalling. I reckon that the car needs to be warmed up each morning, and needs to get used to regular use again.

Actually, I drove it to work again today, and once it gets going, it doesn't die. Just the first shift occurs too late, which makes it feel underpowered until that point. Everyone passes me while I wait for the car to shift. Below is the photo of the TV Rod.

I think I might take it by the AAMCO today. Maybe it needs adjustment by people who know transmissions.

Name:  TV Rod.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  98.8 KB

I just got a response from the place I took it to.

They said that because of the geometry between the Holley and the transmission shift linkage, they wouldn't
    recommend adjusting the linkage anymore without taking it to a transmission shop that has the expertise in doing so.

They don't want to burn up my transmission. I'm going to scope out some transmission shops.

Waiting to hear back from the transmission shop.

Also, I found this link. http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm Seems to be some good information there about
    how to adjust the TV rod for an AOD. When the trans shop calls me I might ask if that web link would help them.

Also, the car needs to warm up before driving as it will stall. Someone told me that the choke may need more adjustment so I'll need to get that addressed eventually.

Essentially, the body style, engine, and AOD trans was the same through 1991.

It seems to indicate here http://www.grandmarq.net/tiggie/Box%...ry/History.htm that 1989 was the last year for the TV rod. "The 351W Police/Canadian Crown Victoria’s switched “throttle valve” setups, finally moving away from the rod actuated system."

Could my AOD just be changed to the setup from the 1990 and 1991? I assume they used a TV cable at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    Could my AOD just be changed to the setup from the 1990 and 1991? I assume they used a TV cable at that time?
    Contact Lokar Performance Products. They probably have a T.V. Cable Kit (Link) for your application.
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/lok-kd2aodht (Lokar KD-2AODHT Hi-Tech TV Cable)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

My car is still at the transmission shop. I'll forward this on to them.

My original mechanic called Lokar, but he said they couldn't help him for the 1-684 application. But not sure if he asked them about the 90 & 91 year TV cable, versus the TV rod of the 1989 & earlier. Seems like to me that since it's the same car & everything, it might be easier to upgrade the TV rod to the TV cable for the 1990-91. I thought I read that the TV cable is easier to adjust.

My transmission shop has not been very responsive.

It sounds like from here http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/11...-4-barrel.html, that some have changed these old TV rods to TV cables on the old Broncos & trucks by using a Lokar cable & TCI corrector. But not sure it would work for my application.

I think I'm going to go back to Ace Fuel and have them put another original Variable Venturi carb on, and have the TV rod adjusted back the way it was. Just getting tired, and want this to be done.