Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Does Holley model 2300 1-684 have a C.A.R.B. E.O. number?

Cool Does Holley model 2300 1-684 have a C.A.R.B. E.O. number?

Hi. I've gone to great lengths to find an old shelf stock Holley model 2300 1-684 carburetor that is a direct replacement for the Ford 5.8L Variable Venturi carburetor found on such cars as mine, the 1988 Ford LTD Crown Vic ex-police car that I've owned for a long time and am excitingly fixing up. I finally found and bought the Holley 1-684 on eBay (never been used in original box). I bought this carburetor because I've found numerous references online that it is the only California Air Resource Board smog legal replacement for the dreaded Variable Venturi and is a nice improvement over stock. However, I'm having the hardest time finding the CARB Executive Order number for the Holley carb. Without this, they will not allow me to pass the smog visual inspection. I've found numerous Holley CARB E.O. numbers online on the CARB website just nothing I can associate with this direct 2 barrel carb replacement from Holley. I emailed Holley but only got a response that the 1-684 (long discontinued) was the right replacement carburetor for my car back in the day due to the feedback feature. Does anyone have a list of C.A.R.B. (California Air Resource Board) numbers for Holley products or knows how to locate this number?

Thanks, Dustin

NorCalDiesel Guest

CARB states that only aftermarket parts that are not direct replacement parts need EOs.
    You can find CARB EOs here: http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Tom K Guest

88LTDCV351, welcome to the forum. Conversion kit number 1-684 is subject to C.A.R.B. vehicle code section 27156 exemption under title 13 section 1900.
    If you are having problems passing emissions PM your E-mail address and I will send you the specific C.A.R.B. information regarding part number 1-684. (The file is too large to attach to this post.) Thanks, Tom

Great info. Thanks.

The box says a stepper motor may also be required. What is a stepper motor?

Actually, I guess its called a Holley 46-145 feedback actuator. Is it necessary? If so, where do I get one?

Tom, were you able to send me any information? My Variable Venturi gave up the ghost and I replaced it with another Variable Venturi but they said it gave up the ghost also. Now I'm looking at using the Holley 1-684.

OK, my mechanic has the Holley 1-684 on the car but he said he is having trouble getting it tuned in. Any advice I can give him? I need to get this car smogged soon before my license plate expires. I might have to find another remanufactured Variable Venturi at RockAuto or Autozone.

OK, I stopped by the shop not long ago and the mechanic said the carb is running fine. The only issue is some bracket (kickdown?) that he is having trouble getting right as he had to fabricate it. Something about the RPM being too high or too low (the car would die). Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by 88LTDCV351 View Post
    The only issue is some bracket (kickdown?) that he is having trouble getting right as he had to fabricate it.
    Scroll about halfway down for Ford kickdown brackets:
    https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...s_and_linkage/ (Holley Carburetor Bracketry)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.

'78 BRONCO: 508" stroker, TFS heads, 11:1 comp ratio, Dominator MPFI & DIS, cold air induction, Spal dual 12" fans/aluminum radiator, dual 3" exhaust/Magnaflow mufflers, Moroso vacuum pump, Accusump, engine oil & trans fluid coolers, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, A/C, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2500 RPM converter, 3:1 Atlas II, modified Dana 44/60-lockers-4.10s, hydroboost/4-disc brakes, ram-assist/heim joint steering, Cage long radius arms, traction bars, 4" Skyjacker lift, 35" mud tires

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast