Thread: 670 CFM Holley Truck Avenger Questions

Jeremiah Guest

Default 670 CFM Holley Truck Avenger Questions

Hello,
    I was hoping generate some discussion on the Truck Avenger carbs with some folks in the know on these units. So far I have had good luck with my 670 on the 318 in my '1970 Dodge Power Wagon with 4.10's and 31" tires.

I guess the best way to start would be a little history. Feb 2010:
    I was sick and tired of my 650DP (build out of spare parts in my shop) pouring fuel out of the boosters and bowl vents every time I hit a bump in the road. It would cause the engine to stall and adding spring loaded needle and seat assemblies did not help enough to live with the problems we were having.

I ordered my new 670 cfm Truck Avenger and slapped it on box-stock with 68Pri/89sec 8.5 power valve/28 discharge nozzle. I left the timing at 18 initial/38 total all in by 2600 RPM. I find that running a bit more initial helps the idle quality (~700 RPM) with mild cam and Holley Street Dominator intake manifold. I know...a single plane intake on a truck??? Well that's the only 4 barrel intake we had when I went through the engine so it is what it is. To help it along I added a 1" 4-hole spacer.

Whew...that was quite a bit of information for you folks. I'll throw up a pic or two while you digest it all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	w100_shooting (Large).jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	100

Jeremiah Guest

To continue my initial Truck Avenger experience...

Upon the first bit of street driving with the 670 I was pretty happy with it. I did notice a bog when the secondaries tipped in which was cured by swapping out the black vacuum secondary dash-pot spring with the silver. Being at high altitude I figured the choke would be on the rich side however the (insert nasty work here) single plane intake seemed to like a richer intake charge during warm up. For once the out of the box setting worked for my pile of mismatched parts!

After going trail riding in the spring thaw (2-3' of snow left with larger drifts) for 25 miles or so we were very happy with the off-road performance. Pounding over huge snow/ice drifts, through half-frozen streams, and tamarack bogs at ~1200 RPM this carb never even hiccuped. Awesome!

Upon returning to the shop I noticed that all eight spark plugs were black. Unsure of whether the trip altitude (~6500 ft) or factory jetting had played a roll in this I decided to run the factory jetting for a while.

For all of the negative comments floating around on the internet concerning this series of off-road carburetors I was very happy with my new purchase.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1028101410a95286404.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	15.4 KB 
ID:	101

Before I converted to EFI, I ran a 770 CFM Truck Avenger and had to do some initial tuning. I installed a larger pump discharge nozzle (shooter), and a Holley high-flow squirter screw: http://www.holley.com/121-7.asp. I changed the front main jets down two and the rear secondary jets up four. You may need to position the accelerator pump cam in different screw hole for a longer pump shot and make sure fuel pressure is set to 5-7 psi. Also, make sure you're not exposing too much of the 'idle transfer slot' at idle (primary throttle blade adjustment). Common problem. If so, you'll need to open the secondary blades a little bit, in order to close the primary blades (without altering the idle speed). Holley has a good video pertaining to this: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL353239D6A7D7BFF0 (Click "How To Adjust The Secondary Speed Screw") View all their carb tuning videos!
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

GMC4X4 Guest

I'm having a high idle problem with my new Truck Avenger 670.
    Installed on a dual flange performer intake.
    I cant find a vacuum leak. Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance.

'92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Does it show up new in the forum if I add to such an old post? Anyway.
    Thought this was the best thread since I have a 670 CFM Avenger Truck Carb.
    My 1968 Chrysler Newport Custom weighs 4580 pounds empty.
    Stock 2.73:1 rear end, so what nozzle? 25-30 is best? 25 or 28 is better?

Thanks.
    Working through my stumbles but haven't followed a guide yet...soon will work on it.

Quote Originally Posted by 1968ChryslerNewport View Post
    Does it show up new in the forum if I add to such an old post? Anyway.
    Yes, it does.

...so what nozzle? 25-30 is best? 25 or 28 is better?
    If you're referring to the pump discharge nozzle (shooter), you'll just have to try it.