Thread: Ford Off Road

Default Ford Off Road

I have a 1986 Bronco with a 5.0 and AOD automatic overdrive transmission. My project is stepping backwards from EFI to carburetion. The problem I have run into and need some help is the determination of which carb to use.

Looking at the Truck Avenger off road carburetors data sheet informs me that using this carb with a automatic overdrive transmission may cause serious damage.

What off road set up would be best to fit my truck. Or are there additional add on or parts that would make the Truck Avenger work with the AOD. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Xuk View Post
    I have a 1986 Bronco with a 5.0 and AOD automatic overdrive transmission. My project is stepping backwards from EFI to carburetion.
    I advise against doing this. You'll never get that carburetor to perform nearly as good as the OEM fuel injection. I've seen people make this mistake before and regret it. I would fix whatever is wrong with the factory EFI system and enjoy it. It's actually a reliable and robust EFI system with plenty of user/internet support.

Looking at the Truck Avenger off road carburetors data sheet informs me that using this carb with a automatic overdrive transmission may cause serious damage.
    Before I converted to EFI, I ran a Holley 770 CFM Truck Avenger carburetor with my Lentech Strip Terminator AOD. It does work just fine, however, you just need to get the throttle valve cable "geometry" correct. I have the Lokar stainless steel braided throttle valve cable kit #KD-2AODHT. Follow the instructions and you won't have any problem.

The bottom hole on a Holley carburetor throttle linkage is just a tad short of pulling the throttle valve cable out all the way at full throttle (proper function). So depending on your application, you might have to run a tad more throttle valve pressure/position at idle to compensate for full throttle pressure/position...which is actually safer anyway (a tad more TV pressure is much better than not enough). The bottom throttle linkage hole (arm length) on a Holley carburetor is closer to 'proper linkage geometry' (for AOD TV cable) than any other carburetor I've seen (because the hole swings the longest arc).

P.S. I never used a gauge to setup my Lokar throttle valve cable.
    I installed it in accordance with page 6 of this Lentech Automatics AOD manual:
    http://lentechautomatics.com/wp-cont...s-manual-7.pdf (Read "Custom Fabricated or Modified Applications", page 10.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Thanks Danny.

I have already shot myself in the foot with the factory EFI. I already picked up my long block from the machine shop carburetor ready. What is your opinion on waiting for Holley's Terminator EFI 4bbl Throttle Body Fuel Injection System coming out soon. The system says its a bolt on replacement for the existing 4bbl.

I realized my mistake too late with the factory EFI after doing my research for an off road steep angle degree set up. I should of done my research first. But now the factory EFI is sitting on my service managers 85 Bronco. My original intent was to get the XL Bronco as close to mechanical as possible. I guess stupid is as stupid does and I should look before I leap.

So here I sit trying to figure out what to bolt onto the Weiand Stealth intake.
    Thank you again for your knowledge. Seth

Danny, did you run into any fuel pressure problems?

I have already shot myself in the foot with the factory EFI. I already picked up my long block from the machine shop carburetor ready.
    Well, I wouldn't worry about it, since you're still willing to install an aftermarket TBI system. That's a smart move for off-road use.

What is your opinion on waiting for Holley's Terminator EFI 4bbl Throttle Body Fuel Injection System coming out soon. The system says its a bolt-on replacement for the existing 4bbl.
    I think you'll be very happy with Holley's new Terminator EFI system.
    I ran a Holley TBI system for many years before converting to multi-port fuel injection.
    I was very happy with it. I love the infinite tunability of the Holley EFI systems.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 MT tires.

Quote Originally Posted by hotstuff View Post
    Danny, did you run into any fuel pressure problems?
    Are you referring to the 770 CFM Truck Avenger carburetor or the Holley EFI system?
    I've never had "fuel pressure problems" with either one (due to installation). My Holley EFI system runs flawlessly.

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....&p=284#post284 (My Truck Avenger tuning modifications.)

Thank you for your time and knowledge.

Thank you for your time and knowledge.
    You're welcome...I just don't want anyone making the same mistakes I've made in the past.

Engine stalling at steep angles and temporarily inoperative power brakes is why I finally converted to EFI.
    It's a safety issue. Read the first paragraph of my post (danf150) here and also the second underlined link:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...l#post11253257 (My Ram-Assist Steering & Hydroboost Brakes Upgrade)

You can read my Complete Brake Upgrade Article here:
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/i...d_Broncos.html
    I further upgraded to hydroboost power brakes & ram assist steering:
    http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/gener...l#post11253257