Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holley with governor?

Default Holley with governor?

I am struggling with a Holley on a medium duty Chevy C65. It has what I believe to be/Googled a governor that is electric. The governor is unhooked and I don't know enough about carbs to know exactly.

My question is if the governor is unhooked is that effecting the carburetor's performance? What model am I dealing with because I bought a Holley Haynes and just breezing through I cant easily ID the carb.

If it's a model 4360 or 4360C the Holley # would be stamped on top of the fuel inlet, that's if its a 4 bbl. What year and motor cu.in. is the carburetor on?

It is a Chevy 366 engine not quite sure of the year it has a HEI dist cap. The numbers I pulled off the main body are 2047662 list 8849 0624. So what series of carb do I have? Thanks for the reply.

8849A is a model 4150-EG, 1980-83 GMC Trk 366 Eng. Vehicle Mfg.part No. 2047662. My Holley book says this carb came on a school bus.

Yeah, the farm has 2 other carbs that are vacuum governed that were on the truck????? The carb that is on the truck now has an electric over vacuum governor on it which has the electrical connector disconnected because there is no control on this truck. I've found it was used on buses from what I've searched.

My question is with it unhooked is it causing troubles or is it ok to leave alone. The truck doesn't run very well at all, and from looking at it earlier to get the numbers it doesn't have idle mix screws.......

What carb book are you getting info from? Im trying to get as much knowledge as I can about carbs because I don't no much about older stuff....used to working with a scanner.
    Last edited by jeepnatv4life; 02-11-2013 at 10:42 PM.

I've been working on Holleys since the late 1960s, showing my age here. There are 2 books I use the most, Holley Carburetor numerical listing & Holley Illustrated parts & specs. To gain knowledge, Holley Carburetors by Mike Urich & Bill Fisher. Short answer the governor system is wired to the HEI and sends a signal to the solenoid controlling the idle (factory set).

You may want to consider going with a 600 CFM carb and changing the jets & power valve, if you don't need the governor.

I found the book your talking about on Amazon. Can you look through it and see it it talks of governors? Is your book full of good info?

The vacuum governed carbs that I have on the bench have different settings inside if the governor cover, and I'm wandering what they mean.
    I'd rather read about it than R&R the carb numerous times.

With the governor connector unhooked like mine is, what is it effecting? The truck idles OK.

None of the books I listed explain about governors, you will need an old reprint. I think you can down load it from the Carburetor Shop site.

Sorry wrong site, it's THE CARBURETOR DOCTOR site that has the manual you want. $9.95 for download HOLLEY 4150G AND 4150EG for 1977-1986 GM trucks service manual. I have used them before without issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast