Thread: Rebuild issues

Default Rebuild issues

This was my first carb rebuild so please excuse my lack of terms. I have a Holley carb list number 4098-1 it is on a 427 BBC.
    I bought the rebuild kit from a local parts store "Walker kit" and I felt confident I got every little gasket back and everything working properly.
    My issue is once I reinstalled the carb with the key on, electric fuel pump starts; motor not running all is fine until I hit the gas peddle gas comes out a pretty good flow out of a tube towards the top of the choke tower. Engine running in idle works great and if you know the cfm for this carb that would also be great it has been on the motor for years and I rebuilt it due to bad gaskets. Thanks...

4098-1 is listed as a model 4150-G, 1969 Chevy truck, 366 Eng, vehicle Mfg. part No.# 3929604.
    My guess its a 600 CFM, and your fuel pressure is to high or the needle and seat are bad, or float level is set to high.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	97.0 KB 
ID:	433
    The needle and seat are new and I kept the same adjustments as before. I can put the old needle and seat on to try that.

Sometimes when rebuilding a piece of something gets stuck somewhere and doesn't show up until the gas is put to the carb. I'd try removing the needle and seat, inspect it, blow it off and reinstall. If the gas is only coming out the front air vent just do the primary.

Yes, it's just the primary side I did check the needle and seat right away and blew it out with air and carb cleaner.
    I'll take the primary side out and check float operation, thanks for the advice.
    If anyone has any other ideas let me know, thanks.

Let us know what you find out, it will help others with the same problem.

Just installed the old needle and seat works great!
    The new one in the kit was letting fuel through checked float and was operating needle properly.

New issue though, bad day.
    Right side in the primary carb seams to be letting more fuel though then the left and quick answers.

Blocked main air bleed, passage, or jet.