Thread: GM LSx 58XCrank/4XCam CNP/COP Strategy on Big Block Chevy

Default GM LSx 58XCrank/4XCam CNP/COP Strategy on Big Block Chevy

Is this possible with my MK IV BBC with Arizona Speed BBC EFI intake (similar to BBC Ram Jet) using the Dominator ECU? I had originally planned on using a 2008 GM E38 ECM with a 2008 Corvette LS7 base tune because I wanted dual WBO2’s and Drive-by-wire but there was significant extra expense with that option and the folks at EFI Connection have only addressed the Gen 6 BBC to date.
    My Wish List:
    1. Drive by wire using the EFI Connection LT1-Style 58mm DBW throttle body/GM C6 DBW pedal
    2. EFI Connection 4X cam sync/oil pump drive
    3. 58X crank reluctor (ATI Super Damper w/integral 58X/60-2 tooth wheel), Holley Crank sensor bracket, GM LS7 crank sensor
    4. LS2/LS3/LS7 coil-per-cylinder ignition strategy
    5. Dual WBO2's

The Dominator's capabilities are probably a case of serious overkill in my case but the DBW and Dual WBO2's are the deciding factor.

My fuel system is a Rick's Tanks Stainless VaporWorx tank with a 2009 Cadillac CTSV in-tank pump module with a VaporWorx PWM pump controller (58 psi). System is returnless and should be able to support 900HP normally aspirated.

From what I've been able to find out in the Holley Dominator documentation I’ve downloaded, the crank sensor should be aligned with the 10th tooth after the index notch with #1 at TDC but does that hold true for GM LS2/LS3/LS7 ignition strategy? Not sure if the crank trigger should be on the falling edge or rising edge (looks configurable). I think I can figure out the 4X Cam Sync position at #1 TDC (once the crank reluctor is configured) by comparing it to the LS2/3/7 cam gear alignment I suppose or does the Holley software facilitate synchronizing crank and cam sensors at #1 TDC.

Any thoughts, recommendations, or comments will be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky65 View Post
    1. Drive by wire using the EFI Connection LT1-Style 58mm DBW throttle body/GM C6 DBW pedal
    This document has GM part numbers for the pre-calibrated & approved DBW throttle bodies:
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...9R10522rev.pdf

2. EFI Connection 4X cam sync/Oil pump drive
    Yes.

3. 58X crank reluctor (ATI Super Damper w/integral 58X/60-2 tooth wheel), Holley Crank sensor bracket, GM LS7 crank sensor
    Yes.
    However, the 58x trigger wheel must be rotationally positioned as an OEM LSx or a universal fully adjustable 60-2 trigger wheel for alignment.

4. LS2/LS3/LS7 coil-per-cylinder ignition strategy
    Yes.

5. Dual WBO2's
    Yes. This was the deciding factor for me too.

My fuel system is a Rick's Tanks stainless VaporWorx tank with a 2009 Cadillac CTSV in-tank pump module with a VaporWorx PWM pump controller (58 psi). System is returnless and should be able to support 900HP normally aspirated.
    "Returnless" meaning rear fuel pressure regulator with a single fuel line routed to the engine? (Link)
    Or an OEM PWM (pulse width modulation) operated fuel pump?

From what I've been able to find out in the Holley Dominator documentation I’ve downloaded, the crank sensor should be aligned with the 10th tooth after the index notch with #1 at TDC but does that hold true for GM LS2/LS3/LS7 ignition strategy?
    The EFI software can be configured as an OEM GM 58x or a universal 60-2 crank trigger.

Not sure if the crank trigger should be on the falling edge or rising edge (looks configurable). I think I can figure out the 4X Cam Sync position at #1 TDC (once the crank reluctor is configured) by comparing it to the LS2/3/7 cam gear alignment I suppose or does the Holley software facilitate synchronizing crank and cam sensors at #1 TDC.
    Holley recommends "Digital Falling" with their DIS & the universal 60-2 crank triggers.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

This document has GM part numbers for the pre-calibrated & approved DBW throttle bodies:
    http://www.holley.com/data/Products/...9R10522rev.pdf
    The EFI Connection is functionally a suitable replacement for the OEM Corvette throttle body in the quoted document.

"Returnless" meaning rear fuel pressure regulator with a single fuel line routed to the engine? (Link)
    Or an OEM PWM (pulse width modulation) operated fuel pump?
    Same as the OEM.

64duece Guest

The Factory LSx and Holley approach their 58x in a slightly different strategy. Primarily because GM uses misfire detection, etc. A simpler solution would be to align the 58x at the 60° Crank Reference Angle and sync to a 1x Cam Sync at 180° before #1. Factory GM 58X reluctor commences the indexing notch at 30° ATDC on #1 cylinder. EFI connection includes the Cam Sync Timing instructions with their unit. A 1x Cam Sync would be a simple solution vs 4x if you plan to run a 58x wheel and sync from it. The Dominator can support the rest of your needs as required.

Does the 1x tie me to the Holley DIS/waste spark strategy?

No, it doesn't. The Holley ECU can still do CNP/COP with a single pulse cam sync.
    If you already have a 4x cam sync, you might be able to convert it to a 1x (single pulse).
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

I have not as yet purchased the EFI Connection cam sync, but it now looks like their 1x unit will fill the bill. I guess the next step will be to put the heads, intake & accessories/serpentine drive back on the short block, to see which side the crank trigger sensor needs to be mounted on, and make a list of which harnesses I need to purchase.

Thanks again for the reply! Dave

I have not as yet purchased the EFI Connection cam sync but it now looks like their 1x unit will fill the bill.
    Yes, their 1x cam sync will work fine, but do you have the original OEM cam sync/oil pump drive unit?

I would be using EFI Connection's 1X Cam Sync distributor/oil pump drive (their p/n 120-00003) to replace my original HEI distributor. The oil pump drive rod is still attached to the oil pump in the short block.

I guess I should have been more clear from the start. The vehicle is a 1965 El Camino with a carbureted 9.8:1 CR 461" BBC & 6-speed. I built the engine about ten years ago as a replacement for the tired 454 in my old '86 Chevy K30 4x4 pickup, but sold the truck before the new engine was installed. Instead, I pulled the 396" out of the El Camino, and installed the 461. After 15000 miles, several cam & Tri-Power/single 4-bbl intake changes, I decided it was time to move into the 21st century, and upgrade to fuel injection. All the front sheet metal is off, as well as heads/intake/headers/etc. All of the new stuff is being attached to a freshly powder coated chassis with everything new on it. Talk about opening "Pandora's Box". Appreciate the replies! Dave

I would be using EFI Connection's 1X Cam Sync distributor/oil pump drive (their p/n 120-00003) to replace my original HEI distributor.
    Oh, you currently have an ignition distributor...there's my confusion; I thought you had CNP/COP.