Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Install Engine Fires and Immediately Dies?

I thank you all so much for your speedy and helpful responses!
    Chuck L., thanks I had no idea there were SD card readers!

I talked to guy at work who's a computer guy. He said he may have a spare laptop for me which is great news.

I'll replumb the vacuum lines and report back. Thanks and have a nice night.

Injector Inspector
    USAF 1960-1964
    Drag racing since 1955

12.6V in run, 11.2V cranking. Handheld shows RPM while cranking.
    I had some time today to pull a spark plug and it was wet, so it's a fuel problem and not a Holley problem, it seems.
    So I'll get that squared away and report back. Thanks again for all the help.

If the plugs are wet, the engine will not start. Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by andrewb70 View Post
    If the plugs are wet, the engine will not start. Andrew
    You are correct, I replaced all eight plugs. Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.

So I finally got her to run!!! So relieved. So I think the problem may have been two-fold.

First of all, I had an older OBD-I Ford ECM running the car before I got the Holley. That system kept flooding and fouling plugs as well. It was very difficult to set the regulator. The ECM was pretty old, and it had a chip which was kinda suspect. So I wanted to just start over with the Holley. Once I discovered the plugs still fouling with the Holley, I tried again to set the regulator and that was a red flag.

My fuel hat is unique to my gas tank, 5/16" supply, 1/4" return. I got to thinking that the 1/4" return line might be too small. So I removed the return line and put it into a gas can. The difference was night & day, much quieter and smoother. The fuel pressure regulator adjusted much easier and more consistently. I was able to get it to run pressing on the throttle slightly.

Thanks again for the thread on the throttle plates. I kept opening the throttle plates in 2% increments and then doing the TPS Autoset. I did that twice, and finally the engine started and idled! And it idles pretty nice, too.

So now I'm pretty sure that my return line is too small. Almost like the fuel is loading up at the rails, causing the fuel pressure to be higher than the regulator is commanding. I might hook the return line back up to see if it will run that way, but I suspect that it won't.

Again, thanks so much to all here for their very helpful advice, I appreciate it more than you know. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as things progress. Here's a video:
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/a2XnOHavkR0
    Terminator X Max in a '79 Mercury Zephyr. 32V 4.6L & 4R70W

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12