Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Big Issues with 454 BBC detonation with Holley HP.

I don't see anything crazy. You mentioned 8° and then 2nd tune had 15° timing in the first post, but your tune above shows 30°+ timing.

Put knock sensors on them and datalog everything. Information is your friend. That being said, I'd say by looking at your Learn Table and you said it was in the 3500 RPM range, that would put it in the 70 kPa range at cruise. Your timing is way too high. You're at +35° timing and a Target AFR of about 13. The closer to peak torque, the more detonation prone it will be and require less timing to keep it happy. Do you have the Timing Table from the old ECUs?

Quote Originally Posted by 81 TransAm View Post
    Do you have the Timing Table from the old ECUs?
    Yes, please acquire a copy of the Mercruiser Timing Table, so you can create an accurate Holley EFI Base Timing Table.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crank & rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow T/W 11R 205 CNC comp ported heads, 12:1 comp ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI comp ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdf1 View Post
    I don't see anything crazy. You mentioned 8° and then 2nd tune had 15° timing in the first post, but your tune above shows 30°+ timing.
    Hi. Yes, sorry. I should've explained this better. On the Mercruiser MEFI3 ECUs they have a base timing setup which entails getting to temp, then jumping two pins in a harness to put into base timing mode, then get RPM to 1500 and then using timing light to set at 8° BTDC, so at 7-800 RPM idle timing may be more or less. THIS IS WHAT THEY USED TO BE WITH OLD ECUS.
    New Holley HP I thought they where 15° BTDC at idle approximately 800 RPM. As that's what I saw on timing light. The 30° on HP setings was either in there from base calibration or the Tuner guy put it in. Is there a safe starting point for these engines?

Hi. Trying to get this information, (Base Timing Table), but not looking good. Mercury not helpful, online I’m not getting much either.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Cabral View Post
    Yes, please acquire a copy of the Mercruiser Timing Table, so you can create an accurate Holley EFI Base Timing Table.
    I'm sure this information is available somewhere. Maybe an OEM factory shop manual, or the Mercruiser MEFI3 ECU software?

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlife View Post
    ...base timing and total timing area I could set it at? For Torque? And then over time adjust, or does the Learn function do this for me?
    No, the Learn Table only self-tunes the Base Fuel Table. It does not self-tune ignition timing! Furthermore, if you want someone to help you by means of a remote tuning session (after installation), I'd contact Andrew B. @projectgattago, Chris Myer at EFISystemPro.com or Richard Nedbal (FastManEFI) at EFIExpert.com.

Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Remember, the only thing this EFI system self-tunes, is the Base Fuel Table, via the Learn Table.
    You're responsible for everything else, especially the Target A/F Ratio Table & the Base Timing Table.
    A dynamometer is the only real way to determine the optimum ignition timing for your performance engine.
    Most people research it, or just "know" what their engine needs or likes. Especially if it's a popular engine.
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...8640#post88640 (Target A/F Ratio Table & Base Timing Table Reference)
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....4365#post44365 (MAP kPa & RPM Axis Configuration/Tuning Information)
    Read pages 4-10 of this Edelbrock EFI tuning manual, it's very good: https://edelbrock-files-v1.s3.amazon...ers-manual.pdf
    1) What's the initial advance? 10°?
    2) Which model is yours? Voyager or Mercruiser Thunder bolt?
    3) Did these engines originally have a vacuum advance distributor?
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, forged steel crank & rods, forged pistons, Trick Flow T/W 11R 205 CNC comp ported heads, 12:1 comp ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, TFS R-Series FTI comp ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM C6 converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers transmission crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Thanks for the input. Yeah, I obliviously need to get the knock sensors on, and setup, just the setup confused me. Setting Hz, etc. But I'll read up on it again and do it. I've read that because of my need for torque (6 1/2 tonne boat). My cruise RPM area is 3000 - 3500 So I read that my total timing should come in sooner in the RPM range. Is there a safe starting place for base timing and total timing area I could set it at? For Torque? And then over time adjust, or does the Learn function do this for me? (Again all I'm after is nice performing engines, not high revving high performance. I know there's some nice Holley gear in here, but this was to get reliability and stop constant breakdowns. AS MENTIONED I OBVIOUSLY NEED TO GET MY TIMING SYNC SORTED. I think I'm right now with this, and I understand how to check it afterwards to be clear I have it correct. Thanks Danny. I’ll keep looking.

Hi. I found this, which is about as close as I could find. Also a picture of my screens while running at 1800 RPM (before the problem arose.

The closest is Mercruiser Thunder Bolt.
    Initial Advance - I don't know as they were set at 8°, but at 1800 RPM. I would've thought it was less due to idle at 700-800 RPM. I'm happy to start wherever someone tells me to start it.
    I don't believe it was vacuum advanced as there was no vacuum tube to the distributor. I think they had a mechanical advance. Thanks.

Hi guys, I got this from Offshore Only.
    What you need is 28° mid-range/cruise/planing, 32°-34° 3/4-Full throttle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Curve.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	55.0 KB 
ID:	14358   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screens at 1800 RPM.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	14359  

Here's a conservative Base Timing Table for your Mercruiser engine(s). If this is too conservative (the engine feels low on power, which it probably will be), add 2° to the entire Base Timing Table. Left click & drag to highlight the entire Base Timing Table, then right click for "Offset Selected", and enter +2. Remember, the ignition timing must be synchronized for the Base Timing Table to be accurate: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...087#post255087 (Ignition Timing Synchronization - A Two Step Process)

Thanks so much Danny, I really appreciate it.

You're welcome.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12