Thread: '93 S10, SB350, Holley Sniper, CDI Box & Coil

Default '93 S10, SB350, Holley Sniper, CDI Box & Coil

All. I'm fairly certain that the reason the truck has no spark and won't start is due to the white wire on the CDI box is not connected. I'm inexperienced with distributors and non-fuel injected setups. I'm trying to find the name of the wire in the harness from the truck that should be connected to the white wire (Points Output). Unfortunately, I cannot find a wire named that on a diagram. I'm thinking it would be a pink or a white wire leaving the ignition coil.

I know what I'm missing is easy, but being somewhat unfamiliar with this setup is throwing me for a loop. If anyone has a suggestion it would be much appreciated. Thanks, Rusty

For Sniper controlling timing: This post covers that ground
    Basically, the Purple & Green input to the Sniper, the Sniper timing signal on the White wire triggers the CDI box. You need to select the trigger type for your ignition in the Holley firmware. "Magnetic" for a reluctor pick-up, "HyperSpark" for Hall-Effect. Here's a diagram:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sniper & cdi wiring.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	13431
    For Sniper not controlling timing, the CDI box receives the distributor trigger signal and its tach output connects to the Sniper Purple wire as an engine speed signal to the ECU. Select "CDI Box" input in the Holley firmware.
    Last edited by Candu SNO; 01-10-2022 at 04:15 PM.

White wire from 10-pin Sniper EFI plug goes to the white wire from the CDI box.

Yes, but only if Sniper is controlling timing. Your first post says Sniper with CDI and coil, that implies a distributor with timing advance control. In that case, the CDI box receives the distributor signal and outputs a tach signal to the Sniper via its Purple wire. Here's a diagram:

Name:	sniper cdi no timing.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	50.5 KB 
ID:	13438
    Last edited by Candu SNO; 01-11-2022 at 02:20 PM.

My apologies, system is as follows:
    TBI: Holley Sniper 550-511K EFI 4150 4-Barrel Self-Tuning Master Kit
    Distributor: Holley Sniper 565-300BK - Holley Sniper EFI HyperSpark
    CDI: Holley Sniper 556-151 - Holley Sniper EFI HyperSpark CD Ignition Box
    Coil: Holley Sniper 556-152 - Holley Sniper EFI HyperSpark Ignition

You have bought Holley's entire recommended package. Their Tech Support should help you. There are multiple instruction sets to follow. Assuming that you have installed the distributor correctly and set the ignition type to "HyperSpark" in the firmware, the Sniper and EFI Ignition (CDI) White wires are required to be connected so the Sniper can trigger the CDI box. The coil is only connected to the ignition box. Pink wires are +12V switched from the ignition switch.

Name:	sniper hyperspark.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	64.3 KB 
ID:	13440
    According to the diagram, the White wire is in the same connector as the switched power to the CDI box. (Small Red & White wires in same bundle.)
    Last edited by Candu SNO; 01-11-2022 at 06:34 PM.

Connected the white wire from the 10-pin plug to the CDI box and the truck fired off and is running perfectly. Instructions are, in my opinion, misleading since on both accounts the wire is called an output. I understand, however, in my limited experience with this type of ignition I could just be confusing them. Anyway truck is running all that matters. Thank you.

Glad it works. You should search the Forum for information on using the Holley tuning EFI software for datalogging and creating an ignition timing curve. The default Timing Table from the handheld's Wizard is "Extra Chunky".