Thread: Holley Digital Dash & I/O Harness

Default Holley Digital Dash & I/O Harness

My apologies for the questions. I've found that asking the right questions first would have saved me time/money from the start. I have a Holley Terminator X, with a 7” Digital Dash. I understand the Holley Terminator X doesn’t have a thermistor input option and I have the desire to add Oil Temperature, Transmission Temperature and Fuel Level. Currently, I have Auto Meter gauges for these three functions. My understanding is I can purchase the Holley Digital Dash I/O Harness, and use IO7, IO8 or IO9 and setup a Custom CTS input using an Auto Meter 2259 sensor (using the calibration points below) to add a custom thermistor(s) to the Digital Dash. Is this accurate?
    Auto Meter 2259 (1/8-27 NPT)
    100F = 1123Ω 102Ω (Right)
    120F = 708Ω 59Ω
    140F = 460Ω 35Ω
    150F = 374Ω 27Ω
    170F = 253Ω 17Ω
    190F = 175Ω 10Ω
    200F = 149Ω 8Ω
    210F = 123Ω 7Ω
    212F = 119Ω 6Ω
    220F = 105Ω 5Ω
    230F = 89Ω 5Ω
    250F = 65Ω 4Ω
    280F = 42Ω 3Ω
    300F = 32Ω 2Ω
    320F = 25Ω 2Ω
    340F = 20Ω 1Ω (Left)

For fuel, I can use IO10 as the input for a 0-90 Ohm fuel sending unit? Is this accurate?

I'd also like to use an output to trigger a transmission cooler. I haven't seen anything online that would make be believe this function is available (turn on/off output based on custom thermistor input). Is this accurate?

Quote Originally Posted by maniacal rick View Post
    My understanding is I can purchase the Holley Digital Dash I/O Harness, and use IO7, IO8 or IO9 and setup a Custom CTS input using an Auto Meter 2259 sensor (using the calibration points below) to add a custom thermistor(s) to the Digital Dash. Is this accurate?
    See "Custom Sensor Configuration", page 4: https://documents.holley.com/199r10954rev2.pdf (Holley 558-432 Digital Dash Instructions)

For fuel, I can use IO10 as the input for a 0-90 Ohm fuel sending unit? Is this accurate?
    See "I/O Connector Pin-Out", page 45: http://documents.holley.com/199r10746rev1.pdf (Holley 553-106 Digital Dash Instructions)
    See "Custom Sensor Configuration", page 4: https://documents.holley.com/199r10954rev2.pdf (Holley 558-432 Digital Dash Instructions)

I'd also like to use an output to trigger a transmission cooler. I haven't seen anything online that would make be believe this function is available (turn on/off output based on custom thermistor input). Is this accurate?
    Sure, using the Inputs/Outputs ICF in the Terminator X EFI laptop/PC software: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....8389#post58389 (How To Create A Custom Input/Output)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger, 1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, R134a A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Thank you Danny for the quick reply. Regarding the ability to trigger a transmission cooler, I understand I could do that with the Terminator X EFI software, but since my Terminator X setup doesn't allow me to add a thermistor input, does that weigh into the ability to have a custom output? I guess what I'm getting at is, if I add the thermistor to the I/O on the Digital Dash, does that communicate to the Terminator X system?

Quote Originally Posted by maniacal rick View Post
    ...but since my Terminator X setup doesn't allow me to add a thermistor input, does that weigh into the ability to have a custom output?
    Oh, I forgot the Terminator X doesn't have a Thermistor Input option. However, in this LINK, I specify a 5V temperature sensor (scroll down to sensor #4).

I guess what I'm getting at is, if I add the thermistor to the I/O on the Digital Dash, does that communicate to the Terminator X system?
    No, the Digital Dash output would directly trigger the transmission cooling fan relay (negative coil terminal #85 - SSR Out).
    From the Holley EFI 558-432 Digital Dash I/O Adapter instructions: "Note - Data from I/O connected through this adapter is not broadcast to Holley EFI systems or ECU datalogs, this data is only viewable through the Digital Dash gauge screens and locally recorded datalogs."
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232-244 duration/.623" lift/114 LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger, 1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, R134a A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Perfect! Thank you Danny (again) for the help. I did read your thread on adding 5V temperature sensors to the Terminator X EFI system, which I may still consider doing. Just need to decide if I want to go to the Terminator X ECU or to the Digital Dash. I'll update this thread with my results. Rick

One last question (maybe). I've decided to use the 5V temperature sensor as you described per your referenced thread. This will give me the ability to control the on/off setpoints of my transmission cooler which is ultimately what I need to do, and it'll leave my Digital Dash I/O open for other 'monitoring'. I've ordered the Autosport labs linear temperature sensor. It requires a 5V signal, ground and has its output which will go to the Terminator X Input I designate. The Terminator X Main harness Pin A26 is a "Sensor 5V Ref Out". Is this a usable 5V source? I have a DC/DC converter that I can use, I think, if A26 is not a viable option.

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....3598#post53598 (Wiring Additional Sensors - Holley HP & Dominator ECUs)

Perfect. Thank you!

So I was successful in getting everything installed. I'm getting some odd readings, however, from the Autosport Labs 5V linear temperature sensor. Local temperature readings at the sensor are about 78F, which is ambient right now and the vehicle has been sitting, so these temps make sense. I'm seeing .77 volts from the sensor, which corresponds to 48ishF, which is what my Digital Dash is reading. So the system is working as installed & setup. However, the temperature readings are way off. Not sure if I have a bum sensor or not. I've reached out to Autosport Labs to see if they have any ideas. Supply voltage is 4.99V.

I've heard back from the vendor:
    10mv/C; 0.5V at 0 C
    Conversion formula = (volts - 0.5) * 100
    Example. If the sensor reads 0.77 volts:
    (.77 - .5) * 100 = 27.0
    27C = 80.6F
    This means the voltage range for the sensor is .5V to 2.0V (0-150C, 32-302F). I'm going to try this setup and see how the system reads.