Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AEM EPM + Holley Dominator

Thanks Danny. Just another scenario:
    Let's say I give up about using a crank trigger wheel, DIS and want to do distributor + MSD
    (for high current and multi-spark) + coil, but I still want to retain the ability to use the ECU for timing control.

I was reading that "It is not advised to use a magnetic pickup distributor to directly feed the
    magnetic trigger input of the ECU. It is advised to use a computer-controlled distributor."
    So which distributor(s) would you recommend for my 351w to be compatible with the Dominator?
    79 Ford Bronco, 5.4 Ford Triton, Magnacharger supercharger kit, Methanol injection and a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by Robi666 View Post
    So which distributor(s) would you recommend for my 351w to be compatible with the Dominator?
    Easiest choice is the Ford TFI distributor. It's actually an OEM dual sync distributor and is used for sequential injection - Holley EFI.
    The only downside is, it's not compatible with Holley's DIS or CNP/COP ignition...but it does answer your aforementioned scenario.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

Thanks Danny, actually I think this is the easiest way for me.
    Mounting the crank trigger wheel is even more complicated because of the 6-71 drive pulley.

Danny, do you know if I can use the MSD 8453 with the Dominator?
    Thanks for the help.
    79 Ford Bronco, 5.4 Ford Triton, Magnacharger supercharger kit, Methanol injection and a lot more.

Danny, do you know if I can use the MSD 8453 with the Dominator?
    Yes, as long as it's for Ford SEFI (sequential), it will work with Holley EFI. Ensure you use the proper gear.
    You'll also need Holley's 558-305 TFI ignition adapter harness for connecting to the main EFI harness.

Questions:
    1) Will this be a TBI or MPFI application?
    2) Why the Dominator ECU as opposed to the HP?
    3) Will you use dual wideband O2 sensors?
    4) Do you intend on creating a lot of Inputs/Outputs?
    5) Will you be controlling an electronic transmission?
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS TW 11R 205 heads, 11.8:1 comp, TFS R-Series intake, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 160A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/2800 RPM converter, M4602G aluminum driveshaft, FRPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 tires.

1) Injectors are on a plate above the blower, so no MPFI
    2) Not sure yet - see below
    3) Yes, two WBO2, but not sure 100% yet, I could decide to use one.
    4) Yes, I would like to control fans, A/C, etc. and even use the ten software switches of the touch screen. Even control the wipers depending on speed, etc. After all this is an adult toy and I am learning. One day I could decide to do a traction control.
    5) I don't know for how long my AOD will last. One day I could decide to swap it for an 4R100 if the Dominator will control Ford transmissions (I guess it will). It would be nice to have a paddle shifter...

I could decide to go with the HP, not sure yet.
    To be true, I could even decide to use a MS3 or Haltech 1000, so not 100% sure yet. The methanol system, which seems good and easy to use, made me look at the Holley ECU. We have low octane fuel here, so I will use methanol.
    I live in Colombia on the Caribbean at the moment, I am Italian and I have never seen a 351w before coming here. I am just having some fun, it will be some street, some strip.
    Haltech is the only one with a serious reseller and tech support here in Colombia.

All in all, I could use an HP no problem, I don't have a drive by wire accelerator, no multi-point injection, but I am wondering if one day I will regret buying the HP versus a Dominator.

Do you have any experience with the touch screen switches?
    Last edited by Robi666; 01-09-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Yes, two WBO2, but not sure 100% yet, I could decide to use one.
    Personally, the Dominator ECU's dual wideband O2 sensor capability made the decision for me.
    I really like this option a lot. The HP ECU isn't capable of dual wideband O2 sensors.

One day I could decide to do a traction control.
    http://www.moretraction.com/Products_Drag_EFI.htm (Holley EFI Traction Control)
    http://www.moretraction.com/PDF%20Fi...2%20Manual.pdf (Traction Control Manual)
    http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=529384

I don't know for how long my AOD will last.
    http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96936 (My Lentech Strip Terminator AOD)

Do you have any experience with the touch screen switches?
    Yes: http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ounting-Option (My TSLCD installation - scroll to end for "Switch Panel" instructions.)

At the end... I am doing a trigger wheel, Danny.
    I could not find any TFI distributor short enough to fit. No easy way for me.

I am going to contact Miller's Mule for a 5" trigger wheel with a 1.875" I.D.
    I am affixing it to the internal face of the BDS blower hub with 5 small screws.
    Is there any specs for the teeth, or I just write them that I am using it with a Holley Dominator ECU?

I am going to contact Miller's Mule for a 5" trigger wheel with a 1.875" I.D.
    Is there any specs for the teeth, or I just write them that I am using it with a Holley Dominator ECU?
    I had a very good experience with Miller's Mule Machine & Design.
    Show him the Holley 5" 60-2 trigger wheel:

http://www.holley.com/556-106%20%20.asp

Maybe he'll even let you provide the trigger wheel?
    (The two missing teeth are machined down to the same depth as all the other teeth.)

I am affixing it to the internal face of the BDS blower hub with 5 small screws.
    Holley EFI typically uses the 9th-12th tooth, after the missing teeth (in direction of rotation), to align with the crank sensor.
    This is performed with #1 cylinder at TDC. The crank sensor mounting bracket can be positioned anywhere around the trigger wheel.

Why am I mentioning this? Because Miller's Mule doesn't know the location of your crank sensor.
    This means he must design the mounting aspect with plenty of rotational adjustment, so you can
    rotationally position the trigger wheel anywhere on the blower hub, to align with the crank sensor.

You may also want to inform or send him the Holley DIS crank sensor, so he can fabricate some sort of custom mounting bracket.
    This is how I designed my custom 60-2 crank trigger kit. I only purchased the trigger wheel from Miller's Mule:
    http://forums.holley.com/showthread....nk-Trigger-Kit (Custom 60-2 Crank Trigger Kit)

I saw that thread about your build before, thanks Danny.
    I already bought that s.s. sensor, but I decided to buy the Holley 5" wheel and do the rest myself.
    Too difficult to ship my hub from here.
    I will probably draw the mounting bracket at the computer and get it plasma cut here in Bogota.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast