Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Injector DEAD, 230 miles from home.

The Standard Motor Products FJ988 is a LS3 injector. It's definitely not 100 lb/hr. Andrew
    Instagram: @projectgattago
    Offering remote Holley EFI tuning.
    I deliver what EFI promises.
    Please get in touch if I can be of service.

Nice job on the leg work. I did the same a couple years ago and just now got access to your thread or I would have chimed in earlier. The LS3 injector will work as you found out, but to keep it more balanced you should buy an aftermarket unit that flows somewhere between 80 to 120 lb/hr and keep the stock one as a spare. I'll look for some of the information I came across while I had the same trouble.

Nice Z! Do you happen to have the O'Reilly part number for the injector you used? It'd be nice to have that and a couple spares handy.

Sorry to leave you guys hanging for a few days here.

Yeah, what a bummer this whole situation is. I did strike gold by having a racer friend work his internet magic and find that the Standard Motor Parts FJ-988 injector is the same in dimensions and would fit the Sniper unit. He did a ton of research and even read some of the posts that you guys yourselves wrote years ago on this exact injector topic. Sadly, even though the FJ-988 injector fit, it had nowhere near the 100 pound per hour of flow that the Holley injectors use. We decided that "some" fuel flow is better than no fuel flow and luckily O'Reilly Auto came through for me big-time! In the event that someone in the future reads this, please, use your own judgement and do NOT think that just because the FJ-988 worked for me, that it will automatically work for you. I'm absolutely not saying it's an adequate replacement or substitute, but it did work for me in a pinch, and it allowed me to race a full day of autocrossing on Saturday, as well as drive the car 230 miles back home on Sunday. Don't just slam an injector in your setup just because the internet said it worked, be smart please.

Anyways, today I called Holley. I knew Holley was going to say "we will not ship you a replacement injector, we can only fix it if you ship the whole unit to us in Kentucky". After 45 minutes on hold, I spoke to a staffer who fully agreed that my situation was crappy. I got the answer from him I expected. I fought him tooth & nail for half an hour about simply just sending me (or selling me) a proper 100 lb/hr injector. They refuse to do it. It's a liability if someone installs the injector wrong and burns down their car. I just do not understand this. Holley sells FUEL pumps, FUEL fittings, FUEL lines, FUEL gauges, Fuel regulators, etc. All of that can certainly be installed incorrectly too though. Someone can over-tighten a fitting and crack it, causing a jet stream of fuel to spray out just the same as anyone can damage an injector O-ring. Holley is firm on their liability jargon, and they won't send you a replacement injector, period. (Side note: Back in the fall of last year they did send me a replacement internal fuel pressure regulator for my Sniper... and I installed it, which was more "involved" than an injector.) I asked them where I could buy the exact specification injector from another supplier (so they were no longer burdened with liability) and they would not give up the source of their injector supply either.

Not having much options, I started an RMA number/claim just in case I decide to send this whole Sniper in to them for repair. It'll take them 2-3 weeks to get it repaired. This is sad to have to potentially sideline the car during prime-time race season, when I can do the injector repair in 3-5 minutes tops, start to finish with a single Allen wrench. If I do send the unit in, that will stink, but afterwards it'll allow me to continue to use the car and race it for the rest of the year. Since I still plan on installing a small nitrous shot at it in the fall too, I'm leaning in this direction. If I were to wait until winter to send the Sniper in, I'd just be limited to car shows and cruise nights, as I'm not going to race the car with three normal injectors, and one inadequate injector that only flows 42 lbs/hr instead of 100. Despite mathematical "duty-cycles" and all that can be adjusted in the tune, I'm just not going to be dumb and race it that way.

I've looked as best as I can, but can not find anyone selling replacement or used Sniper injectors online. If someone knows of a way I could obtain a working one, please let me know. If not, I'll probably end up having to kill the car for weeks and wait for Holley to do a five minute repair job and eventually ship it back to me.

I have spare injectors if you want to buy one. I have a couple of Snipers that are parts donors and so I have a few injectors in my spare parts drawer.

Oh wow, that would be absolutely awesome! Yes, I'll definitely buy one from you for sure. I'll send you a Private Message in a moment. You're a lifesaver!

Instagram: @projectgattago
    Offering remote Holley EFI tuning.
    I deliver what EFI promises.
    Please get in touch if I can be of service.

I thought about that fuel injector, but wasn't sure. Then I read this from a Holley EFI employee: https://m.facebook.com/groups/Sniper...73815243188637 (Matthew Lunsford).
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger, 1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, R134a A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Are these the replacement injectors for the Sniper unit?

More in particular, is that 522-101X for the 650 HP 550-516 kind of Sniper? If so, I'm buying some.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast