Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No Start Issue

I just got off the phone with Holley. I was reading that an E-Coil can cause issues and burn out the coil driver. The tech guy at Holley confirmed that, so I asked why nothing in the install instructions warns us not to use an E-Coil? I have the MSD SS coil. He said that they've been trying to get a warning in the install manual not to use an E-Coil. He told me to get a Blaster 2 coil and and if the coil driver is fried to call back and they'll send me a new coil driver.

I picked up a Blaster 2 coil and installed it, phased the distributor & rotor. The engine turned over a lot better, but the spark is sporadic. It started a few times ,but stalled immediately. I called Holley tech and they're sending me a new coil driver, so I appreciate that. I still wish I could find a way to test the coil driver though.

Coil drivers have a reputation for being unreliable. Had you said you were using a coil driver in your first post, I would've told you that it was probably dead.

The coil driver must only be used with a canister type coil. The lower resistance E-core coil allows higher current flow through the coil driver, and overheats the electronics. The coil driver can be tested the same way as a CDI ignition. With key on, tap the white points output wire on & off to ground, and see if the coil fires.

That's what I found after I fried the coil driver. I came across the info about the E-coil by accident when I was trying to find out how to test the module. I did notice there's a note about the E-coils in this forum, but when I was installing the system there was nothing in the install instructions about the type of coil required, so there was nothing to urge me to do any research about what coil to use. I used the SS coil with the 6AL-2 box and FAST EZ EFI I ran last year. Before that I was using a E-Curve distributor and the SS coil worked great, so I stayed with the SS.

The ignition coil notice has always been on the Holley 556-150 Coil Driver Module product webpage.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger, 1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, R134a A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

It's there, but like I said there's nothing in the install instructions for the EFI system and the coil driver came with the kit. So no reason to start checking coils or to look up that webpage. The tech guy told me they have been trying to get the warning in the installation instructions. Holley warrantied the coil driver with virtually no questions, so I do appreciate that.

It's all good now & running great. At some point during this debacle the in-tank fuel pump came up with a problem. The pump had a union with the metal outlet tube that was not installed properly from factory and it developed a leak causing the pressure to drop. I replace that with some fuel line.

Quote Originally Posted by pontiac_gp
    The tech guy told me they've been trying to get the warning in the installation instructions.
    Takes a while to translate from Mandarin to English.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck L. View Post
    Takes a while to translate from Mandarin to English.
    Good one...ha ha.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12