Thread: Setting Base Timing

Default Setting Base Timing

What's the easiest way to set base timing after the Terminator X has been installed? Perhaps there's something in the Terminator X EFI software to help with setting base timing? I've read this is best done prior to install, but the '93 I'm working on had a stand-alone ECU prior to installing the Terminator X that we could not verify how to do this. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Are you referring to determining optimum idle timing or ignition timing synchronization?

I'm referring to synchronization. I need to confirm what's being commanded is what actual. My concern is that I'm uncertain what the previous owner set the base timing to before the previous stand-alone system was installed. Hopefully he set it at 10°, but who knows.

http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI (Ignition Timing Synchronization)
    CNP/COP/DIS & single coil/distributor ignition synchronization verification & troubleshooting information at the end of post #1.

Perform this ignition timing cylinder sequence verification/synchronization:
    Originally Posted by Danny Cabral
    Ignition Timing Cylinder Sequence Verification
    Ensure the Firing Order is entered correctly in Ignition Parameters (System ICF).
    Before the initial start, disconnect the fuel injector harness and verify
    at least, the first four cylinders in the firing order using a timing light.
    If your cylinders are firing in 90° intervals BUT in the wrong sequence,
    the coil harness is connected wrong (at the ECU or at the coil packs).
    Hopefully you have a fully degreed balancer or at least markings every 90°:
    1st cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 0° (or 15° - add whatever your cranking timing is)
    2nd cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 270° (or 285° - cranking timing added)
    3rd cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 180° (or 195° - cranking timing added)
    4th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 90° (or 105° - cranking timing added)
    5th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 0° (or 15° - cranking timing added)
    6th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 270° (or 285° - cranking timing added)
    7th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 180° (or 195° - cranking timing added)
    8th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 90° (or 105° - cranking timing added)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger, 1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, R134a A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Is that the easiest way? I'm coming from a running car with a stand-alone ECU to the Terminator X. The distributor & engine have not been removed. I was mainly worried the base may be slightly higher than 10° and wanted to ensure I'm synchronized to what's commanded.

Ignition Timing Synchronization is an easy two step process using a timing light.
    Ensure the ignition timing is fully synchronized. At idle (lock the distributor), and at higher RPM (Inductive Delay).
    https://forums.holley.com/showthread...ing-Holley-EFI (Ignition Timing Synchronization - A Two Step Process)
    ↑ Troubleshooting & synchronization verification information at the end of post #1.

Read step #2 "Inductive Delay": http://forums.holley.com/showthread....ing-Holley-EFI (Ignition Timing Synchronization)
    • Just to recap - Synchronizing the EFI timing (laptop) with the engine timing (timing light):
    NOTE: Temporarily disable the "Idle Spark" control (in Idle Settings).
    1)
    Turn the distributor or adjust the crank trigger to synchronize the initial (idle) timing, then lock it down.
    Next, ensure timing is synchronized at higher RPM using the EFI software.
    NOTE: Now use the EFI software "Enable Static Timing Set". I use a static timing value of 25° or 30°.
    2)
    Momentarily rev the engine, and watch the timing advance with your timing light. It shouldn't move.
    If timing advances or retards, adjust the "Inductive Delay" until the timing maintains itself.
    If the ignition timing retards, increase this value. If the timing advances, decrease this value.

SUMMARY: The initial (idle) timing is synchronized by turning the distributor or adjusting the crank trigger, and locking it down. The timing
    at higher RPM is synchronized by adjusting the Inductive Delay in the EFI software. The first synchronization is physical, and the second
    synchronization is electronic (Inductive Delay). Believe the timing light above all else, it's always the real timing (if there's a discrepancy).
    When finished, the timing as viewed on the laptop, should match what you see with the timing light, at all RPM.
    Once the ignition timing is fully synchronized, the Timing Table can be tuned for each application.

FYI: "Your Crank Sensor "Inductive Delay" value is greater than 50. This typically will result in over
    advanced ignition timing at high RPM with a Hall-Effect sensor. Make sure this value is correct."

That's actually not what this warning message means.
    It means if left unsynchronized, the timing can advance beyond what the Timing Table specifies.
    That's just a warning message to ensure you synchronize the timing at higher RPM (Inductive Delay).
    After synchronizing the timing, ignore that warning message and never adjust the Inductive Delay again.
    With the Holley EFI software, you have the option to disable this warning message in Toolbox, Preferences.
    Perform this ignition timing cylinder sequence verification/synchronization:
    Ignition Timing Cylinder Sequence Verification
    Ensure the Firing Order is entered correctly in Ignition Parameters (System ICF).
    Before the initial start, disconnect the fuel injector harness and verify
    at least, the first four cylinders in the firing order using a timing light.
    If your cylinders are firing in 90° intervals BUT in the wrong sequence,
    the coil harness is connected wrong (at the ECU or at the coil packs).
    Hopefully you have a fully degreed balancer or at least markings every 90°:
    1st cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 0° (or 15° - add whatever your cranking timing is)
    2nd cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 270° (or 285° - cranking timing added)
    3rd cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 180° (or 195° - cranking timing added)
    4th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 90° (or 105° - cranking timing added)
    5th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 0° (or 15° - cranking timing added)
    6th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 270° (or 285° - cranking timing added)
    7th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 180° (or 195° - cranking timing added)
    8th cylinder, in firing order, should fire at 90° (or 105° - cranking timing added)

I'm starting to follow the process now. Thanks for the pointers on where to start. Hopefully I can get this car started soon!