Transmission starts in second gear, speed signal erratic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • albertg
    • Aug 2018

Transmission starts in second gear, speed signal erratic.

While on a test drive on a new setup, I noticed the car leaves in second gear. Then I see the speed signal is erratic while in gear at a full stop sitting and idling. I know that second gear is commanded due to the fact the Terminator thinks the car is moving. The signal spikes to about 18 MPH at a stop, but then when I start to move forward, the signal is accurate and the transmission downshifts to first gear. Help please, any idea where I should start?
    Last edited by albertg; 06-16-2021, 11:39 AM.
  • andrewb70
    • Dec 2014

It can be a bad VSS sensor. Andrew
    Instagram: @projectgattago
    Offering remote Holley EFI tuning.
    I deliver what EFI promises.
    Please get in touch if I can be of service.

Comment

• albertg
      • Aug 2018

Thanks. I'll try a different one to see if it makes a difference.

Comment

• albertg
        • Aug 2018

Just got back to working on this car. New sensor in and no difference. I also noticed it reads low voltage for the battery. I verified that the voltage is 13.9 while idling with three cooling fans on. I checked voltage drops at grounds & positive connections. They all seem normal. Where does the Terminator X receive the information for voltage from? Also, my shifting is limited. I only have two speeds now. I'm at a loss. Where do I start?

Comment

• Danny Cabral
          Administrator
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by albertg View Post
          Where does the Terminator X receive the information for voltage from?
          Probably the same as the Sniper EFI: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...994#post251994 (Related Forum Thread)
          http://forums.holley.com/showthread....2193#post72193 (EFI Software/ECU Firmware Problems)
          https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/18...orage-voltage/ (Disconnect & Touch Battery Cables Together To Drain Capacitors)
          May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
          '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385"/6.3L SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, Eagle 3.470" forged steel crankshaft & H-beam rods, Wiseco 4.200" forged pistons, Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 11R 205 CNC Comp Ported heads, 12:1 compression ratio, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA H/R camshaft, Trick Flow R-Series FTI Comp Ported intake, BBK 80mm throttle body, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, Holley 36-1 crank trigger, MSD 1x cam sync, PA PMGR starter, PA 200A 3G alternator, Optima 34/78 Red battery, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, R134a A/C, Spal Dual 12" HP 3168 CFM fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes SS dual 2.5" exhaust, SS off-road X-pipe, SS shorty headers, OEM smog pump converted vacuum pump, Earl's -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH in-tank pump & Pro-M -6AN hanger, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, highly modified Ford 4R70W transmission, FTI 9.5"/3000 stall/triple disc TCC, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.73 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Comment

• LSx Skylark
            • Jul 2019

Seems like a lot of people are having this issue, including me, and still have not had it resolved. I even sent an email to Holley about it and can't get a response.

Comment

• LSx Skylark
              • Jul 2019

For anyone having this transmission problem here are the two things I did to resolve the issue when I had it. First pull the battery cables off and touch them together for 20 seconds then leave them off the battery for two hours. Second make sure the harness where it plugs into the transmission isn't pulled too tight. I think when I had the harness plugged in and pulled to the side, it was too tight and pulling the pins inside of the connector in a weird angle causing poor connection.

Comment

• albertg
                • Aug 2018

OK thanks, I'll ll try that also. I did find my voltage problem, it was a poor connection at the "A10" red/white wire on my harness.

Comment

Working...
                X