Thread: Dual Sync Questions

Default Dual Sync Questions

Hey guys new to here/new to EFI. First, I have a Terminator X 4150 TBI system with a Dual Sync distributor on 318 Chrysler in a Dart. I called Holley and they said to select the Sniper HyperSpark on the initial startup. Kinda confused on that seeing it’s the Dual Sync setup. It was running like complete crap spitting and popping through throttle body and exhaust after 1500 RPM. Had my buddy over with the laptop adjusting things and still had a spit & pop. Engine was really lazy and getting hot. I did my own investigation and did the Cranking Timing setting. It was not set correctly according to the timing light. Cranking value is set at 15° according to ECU so I turned the distributor till my timing light said 15° while cranking on balancer. It started back up a different car!
    Now it idles and a bit more responsive throttle with no pop. The handheld doesn’t match the timing light while idling though. I’m not sure if he has something turned off in there just to get it to run from before, but I need to make sure timing is accurate before we tune on it. I don’t want to tune over a hidden issue.
    So in conclusion how do I get the handheld to match what’s on the balancer? How come Holley wants me to select HyperSpark instead of the Dual Sync distributor which is what I’m running? Thanks guys.

Unless you enable the Static Timing Set check through the handheld or a laptop, the timing at idle is going to jump around, because that's how the ECU maintains a stable idle.

The reason you can select the HyperSpark is that with a TBI system, you do not need the cam sensor. Enabling the cam sensor only leads to slightly longer cranking time at startup. Andrew

Thank you! I’ll check it out.

The Idle Spark control (in the Idle ICF) varies the ignition timing to help stabilize the idle RPM. It can be temporarily disabled (Idle ICF) when viewing the idle timing with a timing light. Yes, it improves the idle quality. See "Idle Spark", page 16: https://documents.holley.com/techlibrary_199r11761.pdf (Terminator X Handheld Tuning & Reference Manual)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, R134a A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.