Thread: HP ECU outputs don't activate unless Pin Mapped?

Default HP ECU outputs don't activate unless Pin Mapped?

I have some slightly more complicated logic than "Hysteresis Mode" can handle, but it's not working. I wanted my fans to deactivate if I'm over 40 MPH for a few seconds, and only be reenabled if I'm doing less than 35 MPH. They also need to only activate if the temperature is over 201°F and if the TPS is under 95%. That time delay is what makes this not possible with a regular "And" (which, I acknowledge, really isn't technically necessary).

So I created an output, fan_speed_disable with the speed and time delay. Then I created a fan output with the temperature (201°F-199°F Hysteresis Mode) and TPS values in sensor inputs (and a manual override switch input from the Pro Dash), and linked that output to only activate when fan_speed_disable is deactivated. Since fan_speed_disable is used as a virtual output here, it's not mapped to an ECU pin.

I have a similar output that I intended as a virtual output, which should activate a warning light on the Pro Dash when fuel level drops below 22.5 Ohms for more than a few seconds (yeah yeah, "turn on averaging"). That output is also not mapped to a pin.

In both cases, the outputs don't actually work, aside from generating warnings about unmapped outputs every time I save the Config File. The fan_speed_disable never activates; the low fuel warning never deactivates. I suspect this is because they're not mapped to a pin, so the ECU essentially optimizes them out or something. But that sucks; stacking output "modules" is the easiest way I can think of to get logic which combines and/or situations, or to just create more complex warnings on the Pro Dash than "one sensor's value is out of range." Am I overlooking something which facilitates making virtual outputs work, or am I stuck with limits of EFI software that I could probably fix myself if Holley wasn't so dang fixated on everything being proprietary closed source?

Wouldn't it be easier to PWM your fans and use MPH as one axis, and CTS as the other? That's what I do. Andrew has a video on doing it.

Those were just a couple of examples about the general issue that virtual outputs don't work like I'd expect.

But to answer the question: No, I don't have a fan controller which accepts PWM input, so that's not easier.
    Updating that's on The Official List, probably around the same time that I actually get a radiator which works better. ��