Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Balancer options for crank trigger.

Yes, the MSD 4x Flying Magnet crank trigger kit is compatible with Holley EFI.

Custom Ignition Parameters for MSD Flying Magnet 4x crank trigger & Holley 554-118 Crank Sensor:
    Ignition Type ............. ― "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type ..... ― "1 Pulse/Fire" (← Holley 554-118 crank sensor LINK.)
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling" (← Hall-Effect sensor.)
    Inductive Delay .......... ― "adjusted per application" (← Synchronization info.)
    Ignition Reference Angle ― "50° or 60°" (← Crank sensor setup LINK.)
    Cam Sensor Type ........ ― "Single Pulse" (← If sequentially injected or CNP ignition.)
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling" (← Cam sensor setup LINK.)
    Output Setup Type ..... ― "DIS Coil On Plug" (← Holley CNP Smart Coils and/or LSx Ignition Coils)
    Dwell Time ................ ― "3.5-5.0 msec" (← See page 1 for Holley CNP coils, and page 3 for GM LSx coils.)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, R134a A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

@Waterlife: I'm not following your question. Do you mean the trigger wheel doesn't physically fit on your damper, or are you worried that it won't work since it's the same diameter as your damper? If it doesn't fit then that's one thing. It should fit, but perhaps you have some odd damper that doesn't work with the trigger wheel. If you're worried about the pickup sensor not being able to see the vanes on the trigger wheel then that's a different issue. You should test it before you assume that it won't work.

Hi Andy, thanks for the response. I'm very new at this CNP stuff, so I'm basing my questions on what I'm reading on the Holley website. Not assuming, basing it on what Holley actually states. It fits, but sits flush with the 8" Damper. Holley states in the instructions that you want the wheel to be approximately 1/2 inch bigger all the way round so the sensor is accurate. Which is odd as from what I can see, the bulk of balancers for the 454 are 8", but it looks like Holley doesn't do an 8 1/2 or 9" wheel (36-1). Regards, Aaron

If you have the parts in hand then test it before assuming that you need to make a change. If you're worried about the sensor being confused by the outer ring on the damper then buy an ATI damper with an aluminum shell. Holley marketing probably doesn't understand that their instructions don't make any sense. They don't always test their products in real world situations.

Hi Danny, thanks again for your time and the information above. As you've read, I'm new at this CNP stuff. I'm reasonably sure I can return the Holley crank trigger. But I also purchased the Cam sync plug. Will this still be good to use? With the MSD magnetic trigger wheel? If so, I'll keep moving forward. Do you see this setup with the Holley HP ECU as still quite simple as long as I have all the input information as per above? Kind regards, Aaron

Thanks Andy. Yeah, I may just have to go this way, Damper with aluminum shell. But it does seem more simple just to swap for the MSD one, if all will work. Regards, Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by Waterlife View Post
    Thanks Andy. Yeah, I may just have to go this way, Damper with aluminum shell.
    Replacing the damper is an option I mentioned in post #4.

But it does seem more simple just to swap for the MSD one, if all will work.
    Yes, it does. I answered this in post #11.

But I also purchased the Cam sync plug. Will this still be good to use? With the MSD magnetic trigger wheel?
    Yes, it does. Same Custom Ignition Parameters as in post #11.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, R134a A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Thanks again Danny. Sorry if I'm missing stuff, learning on the fly. I now have the MSD wheel & Holley sensor. So I'll start Dummy fitting everything to get wiring sorted with 556-128 & 558-307. Thank you. Regards, Aaron

No problem. Here's a video to watch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u5B8BaRRXY (Devin Vanderhoof, Holley EFI YouTube Tech Video - MSD 4x Crank Trigger & MSD 1x Cam Sync Setup)

Custom Ignition Parameters for MSD Flying Magnet 4x crank trigger & Holley 554-118 Crank Sensor:
    Ignition Type ............. ― "Custom"
    Crank Sensor Type ..... ― "1 Pulse/Fire" (← Holley 554-118 crank sensor LINK.)
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling" (← Hall-Effect sensor.)
    Inductive Delay .......... ― "adjusted per application" (← Synchronization info.)
    Ignition Reference Angle ― "50° or 60°" (← Crank sensor setup LINK.)
    Cam Sensor Type ........ ― "Single Pulse" (← If sequentially injected or CNP ignition.)
    Sensor Type .............. ― "Digital Falling" (← Cam sensor setup LINK.)
    Output Setup Type ..... ― "DIS Coil On Plug" (← Holley CNP Smart Coils and/or LSx Ignition Coils)
    Dwell Time ................ ― "3.5-5.0 msec" (← See page 1 for Holley CNP coils, and page 3 for GM LSx coils.)

All of the Holley 4x Hall-Effect sensor crank trigger kits are nothing more than an MSD kit with a different sensor being used. MSD has quite a few different sized crank trigger wheels and kits for the BBC. I'd consult with them. Odds are you just need the right wheel, and if you talk nice maybe you can exchange the wheel you have for a partial credit for the right wheel.

Also, Innovators West can make you a balancer with Flying Magnet setup, 4x, 12x, and I believe they can also do a 36x setup.

Thanks Bill. I ended up taking the kit back. Swapping for MSD Wheel with Holley Hall-Effect sensor. So I'm good to go. Thanks again for the forum help. Cheers, Aaron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12