Thread: Impressions So Far

Default Impressions So Far

I've had the system installed on my car a couple months so far on my N/A 302 with a HCI setup. The first impression was that the harness is not cut to fit like the old one and I did not like how the wires branches split. They're like fingers on your hand. They could have been staggered. I noticed that the oil pressure and the fuel pressure connectors were ran switched. They were labeled and wired correctly, but were ran in the opposite looms. I had to switch them. The harness should come with the correct connector for the Ford TPS and there should not be a connector harness to connect the oxygen sensor to the main harness. The next thing I found out was that the system comes set for a stepper IAC motor and has to be changed in the EFI software to a Pulse Width Modulated IAC.
    So enough complaining. After going through the handheld setup, it started up after five attempts. After having it out a few times learning fuel settings, I felt comfortable enough to take it on a two hour drive. It runs pretty good on this tune. I love that I can see what's going on with the sensors and make changes to the common settings with a laptop. Pretty damn cool. I have no experience in tuning so I've been watching YouTube to get some modifications done to the settings. My current tune is using an Advanced 1D Table to control the IAC because that thing drove me crazy trying to set it the way Holley says. Sometimes it was at 30% and sometimes it was at 0% even after setting it to 4 at warm idle. The YouTube video was from Fox body Mustang. The IAC Parked Position settings have to be lowered by the lowest offset number in the Advanced 1D Table or it will spike high after startup.
    I'll probably have it dyno tuned at some point, but right now for a cruiser it's good.

I installed mine not having much wiring experience. I have plenty of mechanical experience. It was straightforward, only have 9ish connections to make besides wiring in the stock gauges. Everything so far was almost the exact length it should've been minus the power harness. But I was a dummy and grounded out a wire from the starter relay on the coil (SO CLOSE TOGETHER, WHY?) and burned the TFI and a small ground off the battery. Replaced TFI, coil & ground and now I can't get spark when the ECU main harness is plugged in. Chasing down the issues, but still haven't found out. But mine ran FIRST turn of the key before I grounded out. Ran good too. Heat cycled it a few times and it was starting first try every time. So far, I'm super pleased. Got Low Dollar MS sensors for fuel & oil. Both work great. No complaints other than now I can't get spark.

Quote Originally Posted by AaronFtWorth View Post
    It was straightforward, only have 9ish connections to make besides wiring in the stock gauges.
    The instrument dash panel and air bag system in those cars is not ECU controlled. The gauges are wired to separate sending units, not ECU sensors. Read this: https://forums.holley.com/showthread...464#post100464 (Related Ford 5.0L Fox Mustang - Holley HP/Dominator EFI Installation Post)
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger, 1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, R134a A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

I got them working fine! Thanks Danny. Having other more pressing issues, though.