Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Accelerometers, now anyone can have one cheap!

Is there any way I can tell if my accelerometer has the internal voltage regulator?

3 window, the board will have seven parts on it. The five tan parts, with silver ends are the capacitors. The black square thing is the Accelerometer. The black smaller rectangular thing, with five pins, is the voltage regulator. I see new boards from $5 to $15. If you don't have a voltage regulator on your board, buy new and throw the old one out. It's too hard to work with. Power it on batteries. They're Super Clean power. My first built Accelerometer package is still running on 3 AAA Batteries. It's always on. If you need more, just ask. Dave 2

Dave 2, looks like mine has the voltage regulator. Can you post how yours is mounted?

My ADXL335 won't power with three AAA batteries. Hook it to 5 volt sensor supply voltage or 12 volts and it powers up. Not sure why.

3 window, make sure you are putting the (power) battery connection to the Vin pin. (end pin). The 3o pin is the 3 volt output from the on board regulator for test.
    Batteries should go from: + to Vin, and - to Gnd. You must be able to run it on the batteries or the noise introduced from the other sources will add noise that will drive you nuts trying to figure out what it is and what is going on.
    Mine is mounted to the roll cage at the ceiling. 2 Adels with a Aluminum plate attached to them. On top of the Aluminum plate I made a thin Aluminum tray with 4 sides turned up 1/2", bolted to the plate. 1/4" soft foam on the tray bottom with cutouts for the 2 bolt heads, so the foam would be flat with not bumps. Put the plastic box with the sensor in the tray, and added more foam around the 4 sides to keep it centered. I bought springs to hold it in place but I am using rubber bands right now. 3 coax cables run down to the ECU. The coax cables have six leads on them. The 3 black go to a close local ground point because they are the coax shields. The 3 red, that are the 3 axis DCV outputs, go to the Proper ECU inputs. You can read the outputs with a voltmeter any time to confirm it is working.
    The sensor chip on the board is mounted inside a plastic box with 2 - 1/72 x 1/2" Pan head screws (McMaster-Carr). Drill 2 holes, insert the screws, add 2 nuts, tighten, add the board, add 2 more nuts and tighten. Board is off bottom for clearance. Mark the plastic box where the 3 Axis are pointed, done. The soft ride comes from the foam around the plastic box being held in place by the springs or rubber bands. If enough interest maybe I could get some one to post pictures and complete instructions with part numbers.
    I did get a short ride yesterday and it's working like a charm. A little high gear roll, light throttle, from 45 to 50 was showing about 1 G instant peak. I want to spend some time on calibration because 1 G seems like a lot, but I did build a beast for the street. The static calibration is correct. Thanks, Dave 2.

I’ll check the wiring to ensure, but I’m almost positive it’s correct.

EvilMadScientist.com also has the correct ones (ADXL335) for $14.95. 7 pins out, 5 pin voltage regulator. Approximately 5 VDC input power. Regulated down to 3.3 VDC on the board.
    Allelectronics.com has the wrong ones for $8.95. Do not buy!!! 5 pins out and a 3 pin something, 1.5 to 3 volts input power, WRONG!
    I have two spares from EvilMadScientist.com to play with. Thanks, Dave 2

I ran it earlier. Same as before. Trace is garbage and not even close to actual Gs (compared to a Vbox). Hope you have better luck.

3 window, lets do some horse trading! Can you get to my email address and send a short something? I can build you one and I always need help on the Holley tuning things. Dave 2

I’m out on the small accelerometer for now (unless you can make it work accurately). When not using the Vbox, I actually use a Math Channel to calculate Gs, but it only works from a dead stop. Either way, if you need help tuning, send me your tune & problems, and we’ll see what we can come up with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12