Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Settings for 4L65E/5.3L L33?

Default Settings for 4L65E/5.3L L33?

So is there a source somewhere for a baseline startup settings for the transmission? I have a remanufactured 4L65E behind a stock remanufactured L33. I'm just looking for a safe starting point. When I looked at the sample files, I couldn't seem to find a 24x/tune with a 4L65E transmission. The shift points and line pressures were not in the ones I loaded. Thanks, Dave

Try doing a forum search for "4L65E", there's been some discussed about it before.
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Holley Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger, 1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, R134a A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans, Frostbite 3-core aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust, off-road X-pipe, shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, BMR upper & lower torque box reinforcements, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD, 3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, Stifflers trans crossmember & driveshaft safety loop, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Dave, the LSx base tunes in the Terminator X EFI software all have decent transmission tunes. If I can be of help with the tuning, let me know. Andrew

Is this a case where I have to import a specific ICF file? If I understand this system, it uses a sort of master file of included ICF files like a library. Am I correct there? When I open the example file in the EFI software, I see settings in most sections, but the transmission shift points for instance don't look set. They're all are at 0 miles an hour. I'll keep poking at it, at this point it's the learning mode of the process for me. I've done a fair amount of engine tuning, but not on automatic transmissions, so that bit is new ground.

Well I have the Jeep driving around, sorted a few things, but the last one is stumping me.
    4L65E starts in 1st, but is a little sluggish, almost like it's slipping, then it shifts to second and seems fine, but doesn't shift to 3. I have a Lokar sport shifter, but only have it hooked up in the normal P-N-D-L mode currently. Eventually will have normal and paddle modes. The general engine functions all "seem" fine.

About 75 lbs pressure in park. (Idle about 600 RPM.)
    About 65 lbs of pressure in first gear. (Idle at about 575.)
    Starting duty cycle is 38%, and slopes down from there 36/34/32 and so on more or less.
    When shifting to reverse it acts normal for maybe 10 seconds, then seems to tighten up and stall the engine.

Any tips appreciated. I'm studying the tuning manual and lookign at 4L65E info to try and figure out if I'm just missing some setting. Unfortunately, I forgot my SD card I had the datlog on, and it's still in the Jeep two hours way. <Forehead Slap>
    Last edited by pdxmotorhead; 07-19-2021 at 01:07 AM.

Generally speaking, the issues that you're experiencing don't have anything to do with the tune, but more to do with the hydraulics inside the transmission. Andrew

Hmm, so duty cycle on the transmission line pressure setting won't affect degree of lockup?
    Or maybe a better way to ask, if I raise the duty cycle the transmission pressure should drop, or the engagement of the clutch packs should be less?

I'll do a datalog this weekend see if I can get some clues. The build was supposed to be stock with some heavier parts plus a "firm" not neck snapping engagement. Back soon with some data.

I'm think that Andrew's comment is a good possibility. You said, "When shifting to reverse it acts normal for maybe 10 seconds, then seems to tighten up and stall the engine". Sounds like a transmission issue. It has the transmission in forward & reverse, at the same time. I suggest you not continue driving it.

I've used my Terminator X Max to run both a 4L60E and now a 4L80E in the same car (not at the same time, LOL), but both times when I first started the car with a fresh default tune, it shifted great. I never messed with shift points or line pressure. You just tell the ECU what transmission you have and that's it. The default settings worked great for me anyway.

Darn that's what I was afraid of. I guess I could default the system back to original and start from scratch. Just to make sure that's good. I'll have to call the rebuilder and see what he can do. Hate to have to ship it back, painful these days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast