Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Terminator X Max rough idle/super rich.

Default Terminator X Max rough idle/super rich.

Just finished up my install on my 4.8L stock engine with a Terminator X Max system about a month ago. In my initial startup everything ran great. I've taken the car down the road a few times and everything ran great. Just last week I was installing my electric fans. Got everything hooked up up, was going to start it up to get to temp to make sure the fans worked and it ran terrible. Barely started up and when it did it was super rich. I thought I may have messed the tune up so I deleted the original tune and did a new Wizard. Same thing. Ran very rich and would barely idle. I did some reading on other forum posts and it seemed to me to be the WBO2 sensor. In the meantime while waiting for a new one to arrive, I attempted to troubleshoot the issue further. I looked over my fan wiring and all seemed to be good. (Just in case I removed the power wiring from the fans.) I disabled the Closed Loop function & Learn and it still ran bad. Leading me to believe it's not the WBO2 sensor. A couple of other weird things I found upon troubleshooting. I have an external Holley fuel pump wired to a switch. If I turn off the pump after it's running, the car runs way better. I ran it for 2 min or so and it ran with the pump off. Also one out of ten or fifteen starts with nothing changed it runs great. Starts up idles great and than after a few min of running it starts to run like before. I got the new WBO2 sensor in, did a new Wizard and it ran the exact same. Turn the fuel pump off and runs way better. Has anyone had any of the same issues or any ideas or what I should be looking into further? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I have checked my main grounds.
    Checked for exhaust leaks.
    Took my fuel return off and run it into the tank (checking for possible blockage).
    Changed my WBO2 sensor.
    I'm running a Wix Corvette regulator/filter. Could a failed regulator cause this issue?

Did you check fuel pressure?
    May God's grace bless you in the Lord Jesus Christ.
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

No, I have not ran a transducer or gauge for my fuel psi yet. Because it's a new regulator I'm only assuming it's producing 58 psi. Has anyone heard of a Corvette style regulator/filter failing to allow too much psi?

Yes, here's just one of many: LINK.
    https://aeromotiveinc.com/frequently...fi-regulators/ (Aeromotive EFI Fuel Pressure Regulator FAQs - Read Questions #7 & #8!)
    '92 Ford Mustang GT: 385" SBF, Dart SHP 8.2 block, TFS T/W 11R 205 heads, 232°-244° duration/.623" lift/114° LSA camshaft, 12:1 C/R, TFS R-Series FTI ported intake, BBK 80mm T/B, Dominator MPFI & DIS, 36-1 crank trigger/1x cam sync, 200A 3G alternator, Optima Red battery, A/C, 100HP progressive dry direct-port NOS, Spal dual 12" fans/3-core Frostbite aluminum radiator, Pypes dual 2.5" exhaust/off-road X-pipe/shorty headers, -6AN fuel system plumbing, Walbro 255 LPH pump, S&W subframe connectors, LenTech Strip Terminator wide-ratio AOD/3000 RPM converter, B&M Hammer shifter, FPP aluminum driveshaft, FPP 3.31 gears, Cobra Trac-Lok differential, Moser 31 spline axles, '04 Cobra 4-disc brakes, '93 Cobra booster & M/C, 5-lug Bullitt wheels & 245/45R17 M/T Street Comp tires.

Thanks for the response. I'll look into installing a fuel psi gauge. And or replacing the fuel pressure regulator.

Did the vacuum hose pop off the internal MAP sensor? Andrew

I checked the MAP sensor vacuum line. All good. I ordered a fuel psi transducer. Hopefully that's shows an excess in fuel psi and the fuel pressure regulator is at fault.

I'm having the exact same problem with my new Terminator X Max Stealth on a small block Chevy. I was about to write what stovepipe has written as my problem. I do notice that after it warms to 160°F that everything gets much better. Is there a way to lean out the initial startup fuel? My fuel pressure is 60 and no vacuum leaks.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty1945 View Post
    Is there a way to lean out the initial startup fuel?
    Yes, the Cranking Fuel table.

@Salty1945: If I can help with the tuning please let me know. You can email me: projectgattago@gmail.com

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast